Jason D Owen-Smith
Jason Owen-Smith is a sociologist who examines how science, commerce, and the law cohere and conflict in contemporary societies and economies. Together with collaborators, Jason works on projects that examine the dynamics of high-technology industries, the public value of the research university, and the network organization of surgical care. He seeks to understand how organizations, institutions, and networks can maintain the status quo while generating novelty through social transformations, scientific discoveries, and technological breakthroughs. Jason’s work makes use of large-scale administrative data to study fundamental process of network change and their effects in policy relevant domains.
Professor Owen-Smith is Executive Director of the Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS) and Director of the Barger Leadership Institute at the University of Michigan where he also holds the Barger Leadership Institute Professorship in Organizational Studies. He is Professor of Sociology and (by courtesy) Public Policy. In the Institute for Social Research (ISR) he is a Research Professor in the Survey Research Center where he directs a program called Innovation Networks and Knowledge (INK) that houses IRIS and an ongoing research project about physician networks and surgical care outcomes. He received his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Sociology at the University of Arizona and a B.A. in Sociology and Philosophy from the New College of Florida.
- Wan-Ying Chang, Maryah Garner, Jodi Basner, Bruce Weinberg, Jason D Owen-Smith. 2022. A Linked Data Mosaic for Policy-Relevant Research on Science and Innovation: Value, Transparency, Rigor, and Community. 4(2)
- Kim, Jinseok, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2021. ORCID-linked labeled data for evaluating author name disambiguation at scale. Scientometrics 126(3):2057-2083.
- Kim, Jinseok, Jenna Kim, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2021. Ethnicity-based name partitioning for author name disambiguation using supervised machine learning. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 72(8):979-994.
- Patrick Kierkegaard, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2021. Determinants of physician networks: an ethnographic study examining the processes that inform patterns of collaboration and referral decision-making among physicians. BMJ Open 11(1):e042334.
- Helena Buhr, Russell J. Funk, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2021. The authenticity premium: Balancing conformity and innovation in high technology industries. Research Policy 50(1):104085.
- Kim, Jinseok, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2020. Model Reuse in Machine Learning for Author Name Disambiguation: An Exploration of Transfer Learning. 8:188378-188389.
- Kim, Jinseok, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2020. Model Reuse in Machine Learning for Author Name Disambiguation: An Exploration of Transfer Learning. IEEE Access 8:188378-188389.
- Patrick Kierkegaard, Private: Vale,Mira, Spencer Garrison, Brent K. Hollenbeck, John M. Hollingsworth, Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2020. Mechanisms of decision-making in preoperative assessment for older adult prostate cancer patients—A qualitative study. Journal of Surgical Oncology 121(3):561-569.
- Kim, Jinseok, Owen-Smith, Jason D, Kim, Jinmo . 2019. Generating automatically labeled data for author name disambiguation: an iterative clustering method. Scientometrics
- Owen-Smith, Jason D, Ghomrawi, Hassan M. K., Funk, Russell J, Parks, Michael L, Hollingsworth, John M. 2018. Physician referral patterns and racial disparities in total hip replacement: A network analysis approach. PLOS ONE 13(2):e0193014.