Dr. Saleem’s research examines how threatening social contexts, specifically media, influences interpersonal and intergroup conflict. Dr. Saleem’s research reveals that media depictions of minorities as violent and aggressive increases White Americans’ hostile perceptions towards these groups as well as support for aggressive actions against members of these groups. Other work reveals that unfavorable representations in mainstream media lead minorities to disengage from sociopolitical integration and motivate them to seek collective actions aimed at improving their group image in society. Recent work explores factors that inhibit White Americans from engaging in racial dialogue and supporting social movements aimed at improving racial equality. Dr. Saleem’s work has been published in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Child Development, Aggressive Behavior, Journal of Communication, and Communication Research.
- Saleem, Muniba, Ramasubramanian, Srividya . 2019. Muslim Americans' Responses to Social Identity Threats: Effects of Media Representations and Experiences of Discrimination. Media Psychology 22(3):373-393.
- Saleem, Muniba, Rivas-Drake, Deborah , Schaefer, David R, Medina, Michael , Jagers, Robert . 2019. Intergroup Contact Attitudes Across Peer Networks in School: Selection, Influence, and Implications for Cross-Group Friendships. Child Development
- Saleem, Muniba, Lane, Daniel S, Coles, Stewart M. 2019. Solidarity Effects in Social Movement Messaging: How Cueing Dominant Group Identity Can Increase Movement Support. Human Communication Research 45(1):1-26.
- Saleem, Muniba, Lane, Daniel S, Noor, Masi . 2019. Damned if you do, damned if you don't: Effects of empathy and responsibility in Muslim leaders' mediated responses to extremist attacks. Media Psychology
- Saleem, Muniba, Wojcieszak, Magdalena E, Hawkins, Ian , Li, Miao , Ramasubramanian, Srividya . 2019. Social Identity Threats: How Media and Discrimination Affect Muslim Americans' Identification as Americans and Trust in the U.S. Government. Journal of Communication 69(2):214-236.
- Saleem, Muniba, Huff, Sarah T, Rivas-Drake, Deborah . 2019. Examining the role of majority group attitudes and bicultural identity integration on bicultural students' behavioral responses toward White Americans. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
- Saleem, Muniba, Dubow, Eric F, Lee, Fiona , Huesmann, Rowell . 2018. Perceived Discrimination and Intergroup Behaviors: The Role of Muslim and American Identity Integration. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 49(4):602-617.
- Saleem, Muniba, Prot, Sara , Anderson, Craig A, Lemieux, Anthony F. 2017. Exposure to Muslims in Media and Support for Public Policies Harming Muslims. Communication Research 44(6):841-869.
- Saleem, Muniba, Barlett, Christopher P, Anderson, Craig A, Hawkins, Ian . 2017. Helping and Hurting Others: Person and Situation Effects on Aggressive and Prosocial Behavior as Assessed by the Tangram Task. Aggressive Behavior 43(2):133-146.
- Saleem, Muniba, Ramasubramanian, Srividya , Doshi, Marissa Joanna. 2017. Mainstream Versus Ethnic Media: How They Shape Ethnic Pride and Self-Esteem Among Ethnic Minority Audiences. International Journal of Communication 11:1879-1899.