Sara Hope Konrath
Dr. Konrath’s research explores changes over time in social and emotional traits among American young people. Other research examines implications of these traits for individuals themselves and for other people. For example, she has published extensively on the health and happiness benefits of giving. She also creates and evaluates empathy-training programs for various groups, including young people, teachers, doctors, museums, and other organizations.
Dr. Konrath writes a popular Psychology Today blog (The Empathy Gap) and is regularly featured in media outlets, including the New York Times, Time Magazine, NPR radio, and BBC news. Her forthcoming book is called Culture of Burnout: American life in an age of increasing expectations (Oxford University Press). She is currently a Visiting Professor at the Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study (2020-2021).
- Sara Hope Konrath, Femida Handy, Scott Wright, Kent A. Griffith, Reshma Jagsi. 2023. How Individuals? Health and Wealth Are Associated with Their Donation Behavior and Motivations. Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Falk, Emily, Kang, Yoona , Cooper, Nicole , Pandey, Prateekshit , Scholz, Christin , O'Donnell, Matthew Brook, Lieberman, Matthew D, Taylor, Shelley E, Strecher, Victor J, Cin, Sonya Dal, Polk, Thad A, Resnicow, Kenneth , An, Lawrence . 2018. Effects of self-transcendence on neural responses to persuasive messages and health behavior change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115(40):9974-9979.
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Falk, Emily, Tolman, Richard M., Fuhrel-Forbis, Andrea , Liu, Mary , Swain, James , Cunningham, Rebecca , Walton, Maureen . 2015. Can Text Messages Increase Empathy and Prosocial Behavior? The Development and Initial Validation of Text to Connect. PLoS ONE 10(9):e0137585.
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Falk, Emily, Cascio, Christopher N. 2015. Narcissists' social pain seen only in the brain. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 10(3):335-341.
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Bushman, Brad J, Meier, Brian P. 2014. Development and Validation of the Single Item Narcissism Scale (SINS). PLoS ONE 9(8):e103469.
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Bushman, Brad J, Corneille, Olivier , Luminet, Olivier . 2014. The Relationship Between Narcissistic Exploitativeness, Dispositional Empathy, and Emotion Recognition Abilities. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior 38(1):129-143.
- Falk, Emily, Konrath, Sara Hope, O'Donnell, Matthew Brook. 2014. Big data in the new media environment. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 37(1):94-95.
- Antonucci, Toni C, Falk, Emily, Konrath, Sara Hope, Smith, Jacqui, Webster, Noah J, Halter, Jeffrey, McCullough, Wayne R., Ashton-Miller, James A, Brant, Jennifer , Hamdemir, Levent , Lee, Joyce M, Persad, Carol C, Seydel, Roland . 2012. The Right to Move: A Multidisciplinary Lifespan Conceptual Framework. Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research 2012:873937.
- Konrath, Sara Hope, Schwarz, Norbert, Schuldt, Jonathon P. 2012. The Right Angle: Visual Portrayal of Products Affects Observers? Impressions of Owners. Psychology & Marketing 29(10):705-711.
- Bushman, Brad J, Konrath, Sara Hope, Moeller, Scott J, Crocker, Jennifer . 2012. Investigating the Link Between Liking Versus Wanting Self-Esteem and Depression in a Nationally Representative Sample of American Adults. Journal of Personality 80(5):1453-1469.