Colleen M Seifert
Colleen Seifert studies creative problem solving processes at both the basic and applied levels. Her research includes projects on memory and misinformation, divergent thinking and improvisation, and learning through causal explanations. She has conducted applied work in design processes, eyewitness memory, medical decision making, consumer behavior, and sustainability. She also conducts qualitative studies of group instruction in higher education and develops creative techniques for improving outcomes in design. Seifert is the director of the Design Science program, a Rackham Interdisciplinary Graduate Degree. Seifert teaches graduate-level creativity courses and large-scale methods courses in psychology.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Gonzalez, Richard D, Gray, Colin M, McKilligan, Seda , Daly, Shanna R. 2019. Using creative exhaustion to foster idea generation. International Journal of Technology and Design Education 29(1):177-195.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Lee, Jin Woo, Daly, Shanna R, Huang-Saad, Aileen Y. 2019. Divergence in Problems Rather Than Solutions: Design Processes of Microfluidic Engineers in Academia. Volume 7: 30th International Conference on Design Theory and Methodology
- Seifert, Colleen M, Daly, Shanna R, McKilligan, Seda , Leahy, Keelin . 2019. Teaching Design Innovation Skills: Design Heuristics Support Creating, Developing, and Combining Ideas. Design Education Today: Technical Contexts, Programs and Best Practices :37-60.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Murray, Jaclyn K, Studer, Jaryn A, Daly, Shanna R, McKilligan, Seda . 2019. Design by taking perspectives: How engineers explore problems. Journal of Engineering Education 108(2):248-275.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Deininger, Michael , Daly, Shanna R, Lee, Jennifer C, Sienko, Kathleen H. 2019. Prototyping for context: exploring stakeholder feedback based on prototype type, stakeholder group and question type. Research in Engineering Design 30(4):453-471.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Daly, Shanna R, Mosyjowski, Erika A. 2019. Teaching Creative Process across Disciplines. The Journal of Creative Behavior 53(1):5-17.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Felsman, Peter , Himle, Joseph A. 2019. The use of improvisational theater training to reduce social anxiety in adolescents. The Arts in Psychotherapy 63:111-117.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Ostrowski, Anastasia K, Daly, Shanna R, Huang-Saad, Aileen . 2019. Idea Generation Practices in a Biomedical Engineering Capstone Course. IEEE Transactions on Education :1-8.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Leahy, Keelin , Daly, Shanna R, Murray, Jaclyn K, McKilligan, Seda . 2019. Transforming early concepts with Design Heuristics. International Journal of Technology and Design Education 29(4):759-779.
- Seifert, Colleen M, Lee, Jin Woo, Daly, Shanna R, Huang-Saad, Aileen Y, Lutz, Jacob . 2018. Using design strategies from microfluidic device patents to support idea generation. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 22(7):70.