Priti R Shah
As a cognitive and educational psychologist, my primary goal is to understand how to overcome limitations in the performance of complex cognitive tasks. In particular, I investigate cognitive tasks that require managing multiple goals, integrating different sources of information, and forming coherent, memorable representations. My research has two foci. In one line of research, I have examined the comprehension of visual displays used in a wide variety of contexts, including elementary science and math education and scientific research. My second line of research focuses on understanding two basic mechanisms that support complex cognition, working memory and executive functions, and the degree to which they can be improved.
- Han Zhang, Akira Miyake, Jahla Osborne, Priti R Shah, John Jonides. 2023. A d factor? Understanding trait distractibility and its relationships with ADHD symptomatology and hyperfocus. PLOS ONE 18(10):e0292215.
- Shah, Priti R, Jones, Masha R, Katz, Benjamin , Buschkuehl, Martin , Jaeggi, Susanne M. 2019. Exploring N-Back Cognitive Training for Children With ADHD. Journal of Attention Disorders :1087054718779230.
- Shah, Priti R, White, Holly . 2019. Attention in Urban and Natural Environments. The Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine 92(1):115-120. PMCID: PMC6430180.
- Shah, Priti R, Nancekivell, Shaylene E, Gelman, Susan A. 2019. Maybe they're born with it, or maybe it's experience: Toward a deeper understanding of the learning style myth. Journal of Educational Psychology :No-Pagination Specified-No Pagination Specified.
- Shah, Priti R, Hupfeld, Kathleen E, Abagis, Tessa R. 2019. Living "in the zone": hyperfocus in adult ADHD. ADHD Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders 11(2):191-208.
- Reuter-Lorenz, Patricia A, Shah, Priti R, Jaeggi, Susanne M, Buschkuehl, Martin , Parlett-Pelleriti, Chelsea M, Moon, Seung Min, Evans, Michelle , Kritzmacher, Alexandra , Jonides, John . 2019. Investigating the Effects of Spacing on Working Memory Training Outcome: A Randomized, Controlled, Multisite Trial in Older Adults. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Shah, Priti R, Jaeggi, Susanne M. 2018. Editorial Special Topic: Neuroscience, Learning, and Educational Practice-Challenges, Promises, and Applications. AERA Open 4(1):2332858418756053.
- Shah, Priti R, Katz, Benjamin , Jaeggi, Susanne M, Buschkuehl, Martin , Jonides, John . 2018. The effect of monetary compensation on cognitive training outcomes. Learning and Motivation 63:77-90.
- Shah, Priti R, Katz, Benjamin , Meyer, David E. 2018. How to play 20 questions with nature and lose: Reflections on 100 years of brain-training research. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115(40):9897-9904.
- Shah, Priti R, Tsai, Nancy , Buschkuehl, Martin , Kamarsu, Snigdha , Jonides, John , Jaeggi, Susanne M. 2018. (Un)Great Expectations: The Role of Placebo Effects in Cognitive Training. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition 7(4):564-573.