Matthew D Shapiro
Dr. Shapiro is a macroeconomist who has carried out research on business cycles, fiscal and monetary policy, consumption and saving, financial decision-making, economics of aging, and economic measurement. His current research includes using naturally-occurring data, also known as big data, for studying economic outcomes. This work uses checking and credit card accounts to estimate how spending responds to income. He also studies saving for retirement and long-term care using survey and financial account data. Currently, he co-leads a project that aims to re-engineer how inflation and GDP statistics are constructed by building them up from item-level retail transactions.
- Patki, Dhiren, Matthew D Shapiro. 2023. Implicates as Instrumental Variables: An Approach for Estimation and Inference with Probabilistically Matched Data. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 11(3):597-618.
- Michael Cafarella, ..., Shapiro,Matthew D, et al.. 2022. Infrastructure for Rapid Open Knowledge Network Development. AI Magazine 43(1):59-68.
- Lee, Minjoon, Shapiro, Matthew D, Ameriks, John , Briggs, Joseph , Caplin, Andrew , Tonetti, Christopher . 2020. Older Americans Would Work Longer If Jobs Were Flexible. American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics 12(1):174-209.
- Kimball, Miles S, Shapiro, Matthew D, Private: Shumway, Tyler G, Zhang, Jing . 2020. Portfolio rebalancing in general equilibrium. Journal of Financial Economics 135(3):816-834.
- Gelman, Michael Lee, Shachar Kariv, Shapiro, Matthew D, Dan Silverman, Steven Tadelis. 2020. How individuals respond to a liquidity shock: Evidence from the 2013 government shutdown. Journal of Public Economics 189:103917.
- John Ameriks, Private: Kezdi, Gabor, Lee, Minjoon, Shapiro, Matthew D. 2020. Heterogeneity in Expectations, Risk Tolerance, and Household Stock Shares: The Attenuation Puzzle. Journal of Business & Economic Statistics 38(3):633-646.
- John Ameriks, Joseph Briggs, Andrew Caplin, Shapiro, Matthew D, Christopher Tonetti. 2020. Long-Term-Care Utility and Late-in-Life Saving. Journal of Political Economy 128(6):2375-2451.
- Gabriel Ehrlich, John Haltiwanger, Ron Jarmin, Johnson, David Scott, Shapiro, Matthew D. 2020. Re-Engineering Key National Economic Indicators.
- Levenstein, Margaret C, Shapiro, Matthew D, Weinberg, Daniel H, Abowd, John M, Belli, Robert F, Cressie, Noel , Folch, David C, Holan, Scott H, Olson, Kristen M, Reiter, Jerome P, Smyth, Jolene D, Soh, Leen-Kiat , Spencer, Bruce D, Spielman, Seth E, Vilhuber, Lars , Wikle, Christopher K. 2019. Effects of a Government-Academic Partnership: Has the NSF-Census Bureau Research Network Helped Improve the US Statistical System?. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology
- Hemphill, Libby, Shapiro, Matthew D. 2019. Appealing to the base or to the moveable middle? Incumbents' partisan messaging before the 2016 U.S. congressional elections. Journal of Information Technology & Politics 16(4):325-341.