Robert J Taylor
Robert Joseph Taylor is the Sheila Feld Collegiate Professor of Social Work. He is a Faculty Associate with the Program for Research on Black Americans at the Institute for Social Research and the Center for Afro-American and African Studies. He also is affiliated with the Center for Research on Race, Religion and Health. Professor Taylor has published extensively on the informal social support networks (i.e., family, friends, and church members) of adult and elderly Black Americans. He has been Principal Investigator of several grants from the National Institute on Aging which examine the role of religion in the lives of Black and White elderly adults. He has edited two books Family Life in Black America (1997) and Aging in Black America (1993) with James S. Jackson and Linda M. Chatters. He is the editor of African American Research Perspectives and has been on several editorial boards including the Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, Journal of Marriage and the Family, Family Relations, and Review of Religious Research.
- Hans Oh, Connor Martz, Karen D. Lincoln, Robert J Taylor, Enrique Neblett, David Chae. 2023. Depression impairment among young adult college students: exploring the racial paradox. Ethnicity & Health 28(6):932-941.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Taylor, Harry O. 2019. Race and Objective Social Isolation: Older African Americans, Black Caribbeans, and Non-Hispanic Whites. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Forsythe-Brown, Ivy , Mouzon, Dawne M, Keith, Verna M, Chae, David H. 2019. Prevalence and correlates of everyday discrimination among black Caribbeans in the United States: the impact of nativity and country of origin. Ethnicity & Health 24(5):463-483.
- Taylor, Robert J, Woodward, Amanda T. 2019. Factors associated with the use of social workers for assistance with lifetime and 12-month behavioral health disorders. Social Work in Health Care
- Taylor, Robert J, Lincoln, Karen D, Ailshire, Jennifer , Nguyen, Ann , Govia, Ishtar , Ifatunji, Mosi Adesina. 2019. Profiles of sleep and depression risk among Caribbean Blacks. Ethnicity & Health :1-19.
- Taylor, Robert J, Watkins, Daphne C, Goodwill, Janelle R. 2019. Everyday Discrimination, Depressive Symptoms, and Suicide Ideation Among African American Men. Archives of Suicide Research :1-20.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Mouzon, Dawne M, Nguyen, Ann W, Ifatunji, Mosi Adesina. 2019. Everyday Discrimination Typologies Among Older African Americans: Gender and Socioeconomic Status. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Nguyen, Ann W, Hope, Meredith O. 2019. Church support networks of African Americans: The impact of gender and religious involvement. Journal of Community Psychology 47(5):1043-1063.
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Hope, Meredith O, Nguyen, Ann W. 2019. Church Support among African American and Black Caribbean Adolescents. Journal of Child and Family Studies
- Taylor, Robert J, Chatters, Linda M, Taylor, Harry Owen, Nguyen, Ann W. 2018. Social Isolation, Depression, and Psychological Distress Among Older Adults. Journal of Aging and Health 30(2):229-246.