Daphne C. Watkins
Faculty Associate, RCGD
Professor, School Of Social Work
Program Director, School Of Social Work
Daphne Watkins is a mixed methods researcher who studies the influence of gender role socialization on health status over the adult life course for underserved groups. To date, her research has focused on understanding the social determinants of health that explain within group differences among black men; developing evidence-based strategies to improve the physical and mental health of black men; and increasing knowledge about the intersection of culture, ethnicity, and gender.
- Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging Research. (James S. Jackson, Toni C. Antonucci, Robert J. Taylor, Jacqui Smith, Jamie Mitchell, Briana M. Ratliff, Amy M. Pienta, Daphne C. Watkins, James W. McNally, Felichism W. Kabo, Kristine J. Ajrouch, Lenwood W. Hayman, Bruno J. Giordani, Helen G. Levy, Elham Mahmoudi, Lenette Michelle Jones) 2018-2023. NIA.
- Anyiwo, Nkemka, Josefina Bañales, Stephanie J. Rowley, Daphne C. Watkins, and Katie Richards-Schuster. Forthcoming. "Sociocultural Influences on the Sociopolitical Development of African American Youth." Child Development Perspectives
- Watkins, Daphne C., and Natasha C. Johnson. 2018. "Age and Gender Differences in Psychological Distress among African Americans and Whites: Findings from the 2016 National Health Interview Survey." Healthcare 6(1): 6.
- Goodwill, J. R., Daphne C. Watkins, N. C. Johnson, and Julie Ober Allen. 2018. "An Exploratory Study of Stress and Coping Among Black College Men." The American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 88(5): 538-549.
- Wharton, Tracy, Daphne C. Watkins, Jamie Mitchell, and Helen Kales. 2018. "Older, Church-Going African Americans' Attitudes and Expectations About Formal Depression Care." Research on Aging 40(1): 3-26.
- Hawkins, Jaclynn, Daphne C. Watkins, Julie Ober Allen, and Jamie Mitchell. 2018. "Identifying subgroups of Black, Hispanic and Asian men at increased risk for comorbid depression and overweight or obesity." Preventive Medicine Reports 12: 268-270.
- Allen, Julie Ober, Daphne C. Watkins, Linda M. Chatters, and Vicki Demeitris Johnson-Lawrence. 2018. "DOES COPING MATTER? COPING AND CHRONIC PHYSIOLOGICAL DISTRESS AMONG AGING U.S. BLACK AND WHITE MEN." Innovation in Aging 2(suppl_1): 668-669.
- Redmond, Michelle L., Daphne C. Watkins, Clifford L. Broman, Jamie M. Abelson, and Harold W. Neighbors. 2017. "Ethnic and Gender Differences in Help Seeking for Substance Disorders Among Black Americans." Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities 4(2): 308-316.
- Watkins, Daphne C., Tracy Wharton, Jamie A. Mitchell, Niki Matusko, and Helen C. Kales. 2017. "Perceptions and Receptivity of Nonspousal Family Support: A Mixed Methods Study of Psychological Distress Among Older, Church-Going African American Men." Journal of Mixed Methods Research 11(4): 487-509.
- Mitchell, Jamie A., Daphne C. Watkins, Deirdre Shires, Robert A. Chapman, and Janice Burnett. 2017. "Clues to the Blues: Predictors of Self-Reported Mental and Emotional Health Among Older African American Men." American Journal of Men's Health 11(5): 1366-1375.
- Thompson, Terry, Jamie A. Mitchell, Vicki Demeitris Johnson-Lawrence, Daphne C. Watkins, and Charles S. Modin. 2017. "Self-Rated Health and Health Care Access Associated With African American Men's Health Self-Efficacy." American Journal of Men's Health 11(5): 1385-1387.
- Watkins, Daphne C., Julie Ober Allen, Janelle R. Goodwill, and Blake Noel. 2017. "Strengths and weaknesses of the Young Black Men, Masculinities, and Mental Health (YBMen) Facebook project." American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 87(4): 392-401.
- Jaggi, L. J., B. Mezuk, Daphne C. Watkins, and James S. Jackson. 2016. "The Relationship between Trauma, Arrest, and Incarceration History among Black Americans: Findings from the National Survey of American Life." Society and Mental Health 6(3): 187-206.
- Assari, Shervin, Daphne C. Watkins, and Cleopatra H. Caldwell. 2015. "Race Attribution Modifies the Association Between Daily Discrimination and Major Depressive Disorder Among Blacks: the Role of Gender and Ethnicity." Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities 2(2): 200-210.
- Brewton-Tiayon, Shanna, Daphne C. Watkins, Niki Matusko, and James S. Jackson. 2015. "Depression Among Blacks During Late Life: Examining Within-Group Variations." Pp. 153-170 in Prevention of Late-Life Depression: Current Clinical Challenges and Priorities, edited by Okereke, Olivia I. Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Watkins, Daphne C., Justin B. Hunt, and Daniel Eisenberg. 2012. "Increased Demand for Mental Health Services on College Campuses: Perspectives from Interviews of Campus Mental Health Administrators." Qualitative Social Work 11(3): 319-337.
- Hunt, Justin B., Daphne C. Watkins, and Daniel Eisenberg. 2012. "How Do College Campuses Make Decisions About Allocating Resources for Student Mental Health?: Findings from Key Participant Interviews." Journal of College Student Development 53(6): 850-856.
- Lincoln, Karen D., Robert J. Taylor, Daphne C. Watkins, and Linda M. Chatters. 2011. "Correlates of Psychological Distress and Major Depressive Disorder Among African American Men." Research on Social Work Practice 21(3): 278-288.
- Watkins, Daphne C., D. Hudson, Cleopatra H. Caldwell, K. Siefert, and James S. Jackson. 2011. "Discrimination, Mastery, and Depressive Symptoms Among African American Men." Research on Social Work Practice 21(3): 269-277.