Sonya Dal Cin
Research Associate Professor, RCGD
Adjunct Assoc Professor, Psychology
Associate Professor, LSA Communication And Media
Sonya Dal Cin's major research interest is the impact of stories on attitudes, beliefs, self-concept and behaviors. Her work examines the processes of story-based belief change, the role of identification with characters, the impact that stories have on behavior, and how these effects might occur outside viewers' conscious awareness. Primarily interested in health-related outcomes, Dr. Dal Cin's current research includes studies on how watching smoking and drinking in movies might influence viewers' own smoking and drinking behavior.
- Lane, Daniel S., and Sonya Dal Cin. Forthcoming. "Sharing beyond Slacktivism: the effect of socially observable prosocial media sharing on subsequent offline helping behavior." Information, Communication & Society : 1-18.
- Erickson, Sarah E., Sonya Dal Cin, and Hannah Byl. 2019. "An Experimental Examination of Binge Watching and Narrative Engagement." Social Sciences 8(1): 19.
- Erickson, Sarah E., Kristen S. Harrison, and Sonya Dal Cin. 2018. "Toward a Multi-Dimensional Model of Adolescent Romantic Parasocial Attachment." Communication Theory 28(3): 376-399.
- Erickson, Sarah E., and Sonya Dal Cin. 2017. "Romantic Parasocial Attachments and the Development of Romantic Scripts, Schemas and Beliefs among Adolescents." Media Psychology 21(1): 111-136.
- Davis, Rachel E., Sonya Dal Cin, Suzanne M. Cole, Ligia I. Reyes, Shannon J. McKenney-Shubert, Nancy L. Fleischer, Lynna Chung Densen, and Karen E. Peterson. 2017. "A Tale of Two Stories: An Exploration of Identification, Message Recall, and Narrative Preferences Among Low-Income, Mexican American Women." Health Communication 32(11): 1409-1421.
- Sabel, Michael S., and Sonya Dal Cin. 2016. "Trends in Media Reports of Celebrities' Breast Cancer Treatment Decisions." Annals of Surgical Oncology 23(9): 2795-2801.
- Gibbons, Frederick X., John H. Kingsbury, Thomas A. Wills, Stephanie D. Finneran, Sonya Dal Cin, and Meg Gerrard. 2016. "Impulsivity Moderates the Effects of Movie Alcohol Portrayals on Adolescents' Willingness to Drink." Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 30(3): 325-334.
- Falk, Emily, Matthew Brook O'Donnell, Steven Tompson, Richard D. Gonzalez, Sonya Dal Cin, Victor Strecher, Kenneth Michael Cummings, and Lawrence An. 2016. "Functional brain imaging predicts public health campaign success." Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 11(2): 204-214.
- Bayer, Joseph B., Sonya Dal Cin, Scott W. Campbell, and Elliot Panek. 2016. "Consciousness and Self-Regulation in Mobile Communication." Human Communication Research 42(1): 71-97.
- Payne, B. Keith, and Sonya Dal Cin. 2015. "Implicit Attitudes in Media Psychology." Media Psychology 18(3): 292-311.
- Panek, Elliot T., Joseph B. Bayer, Sonya Dal Cin, and Scott W. Campbell. 2015. "Automaticity, mindfulness, and self-control as predictors of dangerous texting behavior." Mobile Media & Communication 3(3): 383-400.
- Greenwood, Dara N., Christopher R. Long, and Sonya Dal Cin. 2013. "Fame and the social self: The need to belong, narcissism, and relatedness predict the appeal of fame." Personality and Individual Differences 55(5): 490-495.
- Dal Cin, Sonya, Mike Stoolmiller, and James D. Sargent. 2013. "Exposure to Smoking in Movies and Smoking Initiation Among Black Youth." American Journal of Preventive Medicine 44(4): 345-350.
- Dal Cin, Sonya, Mike Stoolmiller, and James D. Sargent. 2012. "When Movies Matter: Exposure to Smoking in Movies and Changes in Smoking Behavior." Journal of Health Communication 17(1): 76-89.
- Greenwood, Dara N., and Sonya Dal Cin. 2012. "Ethnicity and body consciousness: Black and White American women's negotiation of media ideals and others' approval." Psychology of Popular Media Culture 1(4): 220-235.
- Wagner, Dylan D., Sonya Dal Cin, James D. Sargent, William M. Kelley, and Todd F. Heatherton. 2011. "Spontaneous Action Representation in Smokers when Watching Movie Characters Smoke." Journal of Neuroscience 31(3): 894-898.
- Gibbons, Frederick X., Sonya Dal Cin, Elizabeth A. Pomery, Meg Gerrard, James D. Sargent, Chih-Yuan Weng, Thomas A. Wills, John Kingsbury, et al. 2010. "Media as social influence: Racial differences in the effects of peers and media on adolescent alcohol cognitions and consumption." Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 24(4): 649-659.
- Wills, Thomas A., Frederick X. Gibbons, James D. Sargent, Meg Gerrard, Hye-Ryeon Lee, and Sonya Dal Cin. 2010. "Good Self-Control Moderates the Effect of Mass Media on Adolescent Tobacco and Alcohol Use: Tests With Studies of Children and Adolescents." Health Psychology 29(5): 539-549.