Kenneth W. Kollman
Center Director, CPS
Research Professor, CPS
Professor, LSA Political Science
Ken Kollman is the Frederick G. L. Huetwell Professor and Professor of Political Science at the University of Michigan. He is also Research Professor at the Center for Political Studies (Institute for Social Research) at the university.
His recent book, Perils of Centralization, published by Cambridge University Press, includes research on the European Union, the Roman Catholic Church, General Motors Corporation, and the United States government. Throughout his career he has contributed in diverse fields: computational social science, comparative and American politics, European Union studies, comparative federalism, and comparative political parties and elections. His popular American government textbook with W.W. Norton is now in its second edition. The New York Times and Washington Post have published his essays. He created and administered a new minor and major in international studies at the University of Michigan. The major has grown into one of the largest at the university. He co-founded and is co-principal investigator of the Constituency-Level Election Archive (CLEA), which is the world’s largest repository of elections results data.
- The Sixth Module of the Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES). (Kenneth W. Kollman) 2018-2022. NSF.
- WORKSHOP An Interdisciplinary Conference on Using Social Science to Improve Health Outcomes. (Kenneth W. Kollman, Arthur Lupia, Michael W. Traugott) 2015-2016.
- The Constituency-Level Elections Archive (CLEA). (Kenneth W. Kollman, Allen D. Hicken) 2015-2017. NSF.
- Caramani, Daniele, and Kenneth W. Kollman. 2017. "Symposium on "The nationalization of electoral politics: Frontiers of research"." Electoral Studies 47: 51-54.
- Hicken, Allen D., Kenneth W. Kollman, and Joel W. Simmons. 2016. "Party System Nationalization and the Provision of Public Health Services." Political Science Research and Methods 4(3): 573-594.
- Simmons, Joel, Allen D. Hicken, Kenneth W. Kollman, and Irfan Nooruddin. Forthcoming. "Party system structure and its consequences for foreign direct investment." Party Politics
- Kollman, Kenneth W. 2016. "Duverger's disciplinary and field-defining research on political parties." French Politics 14(1): 131-138.
- Jackson, John E., and Kenneth W. Kollman. 2012. "Modeling, Measuring, and Distinguishing Path Dependence, Outcome Dependence, and Outcome Independence." Political Analysis 20(2): 157-174.
- Jackson, John E., and Kenneth W. Kollman. 2011. "Connecting Micro- and Macropartisanship." Political Analysis 19(4): 503-518.