Pamela E. Davis-Kean
Research Professor, RCGD
Research Professor, Population, Neurodevelopment, & Genetics
Executive Director, Umor Mi Inst For Data Science
Pamela Davis-Kean is Professor of Psychology at the University of Michigan where her research focuses on the various pathways that the socio-economic status of parents relates to the cognitive/achievement outcomes of their children. Her primary focus is on parental educational attainment and how it can influence the development of the home environment throughout childhood, adolescence, and the transition to adulthood. Davis-Kean is also a Research Professor at the Institute for Social Research where she is the Program Director of the Population, Neurodevelopment, and Genetics (PNG) program. This collaboration examines the complex transactions of brain, biology, and behavior as children and families develop across time. She is interested in how both the micro (brain and biology) and macro (family and socioeconomic conditions) aspects of development relate to cognitive changes in children across the lifespan.
- Collaborative Research: The Future of Quantitative Research in Social Science. (Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Michael W. Traugott, Joshua M. Pasek, Ceren Budak, Stuart Soroka, Zeina N. Mneimneh, Trivellore E. Raghunathan) 2019-2024. NSF.
- Transitions from Preschool through High School: Family, Schools & Neighborhoods. (Narayan Sastry, Paula Fomby, David Scott Johnson, Katherine A. McGonagle, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Colter M. Mitchell) 2018-2023. NIH.
- Linking Additional Years of Geographic Data on Food Accessibility to the PSID. (Sandra Tang, Natalie Colabianchi, Pamela E. Davis-Kean) 2017-2018. Clark R. Smith Family Foundation.
- Economic and Social Research Council Longitudinal Study Review. (Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Sandra Tang) 2016-2018.
- Transition to Adulthood within its Life Course & Intergenerational Family Context. (Narayan Sastry, Katherine A. McGonagle, Robert F. Schoeni, William G. Axinn, Deirdre R. Bloome, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Paula Fomby, Pamela E. Davis-Kean) 2016-2021. NICHD.
- Parenting and Social Media: Sources of Parenting Information and Misinformation on Twitter. (Pamela E. Davis-Kean) 2016-2017.
- Linking Geographic Data on Food Accessibility to the PSID. (Sandra Tang, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Natalie Colabianchi) 2016-2018. Clark R. Smith Family Foundation.
- Exploring the Effects of Schooling on Changes in Behavioral and Neurological Indices of Children's Executive Functioning. (Frederick J. Morrison, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, William J. Gehring) 2014-2018. NSF.
- Ahmed, Sammy F., Sandra Tang, Nicholas Waters, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2019. "Executive function and academic achievement: Longitudinal relations from early childhood to adolescence." Journal of educational psychology 111(3): 446-458. US: American Psychological Association.
- Susperreguy, Maria Ines, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Kathryn Duckworth, and Meichu Chen. 2018. "Self-Concept Predicts Academic Achievement Across Levels of the Achievement Distribution: Domain Specificity for Math and Reading." Child development 89(6): 2196-2214.
- Olson, Sheryl L., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Meichu Chen, Jennifer E. Lansford, John E. Bates, Gregory S. Pettit, and Kenneth A. Dodge. 2018. "Mapping the Growth of Heterogeneous Forms of Externalizing Problem Behavior Between Early Childhood and Adolescence: A Comparison of Parent and Teacher Ratings." Journal of abnormal child psychology 46(5): 935-950.
- Ellis, A., X. Hu, C. E. Smith, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Ioulia Kovelman. 2018. "Sharing as a model for understanding division." Neuroreport 29(11): 889-893. England.
- Nazroo, James, Meichu Chen, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, James S. Jackson, Afshin Zilanawala, Laia BÈcares, Yvonne Kelly, Lidia Panico, an, et al. 2018. "Socioemotional wellbeing of mixed race/ethnicity children in the UK and US: Patterns and mechanisms." SSM - Population Health 5: 147-159.
- Williams-Butler, Abigail, Joseph P. Ryan, Vonnie C. McLoyd, John E. Schulenberg, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2018. "Relational Permanence and Psychological well-being among African American Adolescents in Foster Care." Journal of Child and Family Studies 27(10): 3277-3287.
- Hofferth, Sandra, David S. Bickham, Jeanne Brooks-Gunn, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Wei-Jun J. Yeung. 2018. "Contributions of Research Based on the PSID Child Development Supplement." The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 680(1): 97-131.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Justin Jager. 2017. "From Small to Big: Methods for Incorporating Large Scale Data into Developmental Science." Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development 82(2): 31-45.
- Kramer, Michael R., Eric B. Schneider, Jennifer B. Kane, Claire Margerison-Zilko, Jessica Jones-Smith, Katherine King, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Joseph G. Grzywacz. 2017. "Getting Under the Skin: Children's Health Disparities as Embodiment of Social Class." Population Research and Policy Review 48(5): 698-717.
- Roach, Elizabeth, Gail B. Viechnicki, Lauren B. Retzloff, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Julie C. Lumeng, and Alison L. Miller. 2017. "Family food talk, child eating behavior, and maternal feeding practices." Appetite 117(1): 40-50.
- Tang, Sandra, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Meichu Chen, and Holly R. Sexton. 2016. "Adolescent Pregnancy's Intergenerational Effects: Does an Adolescent Mother's Education Have Consequences for Her Children's Achievement?" Journal of Research on Adolescence 26(1): 180-193.
- Crosnoe, Robert, Aprile D. Benner, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2016. "Preschool Enrollment, Classroom Instruction, Elementary School Context, and the Reading Achievement of Children from Low-Income Families." Pp. 19-47 in Family Environments, School Resources, and Educational Outcomes (Research in the Sociology of Education, Volume 19), edited by Kao, Grace, Park, Hyunjoon. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Crosnoe, Robert, Kelly M. Purtell, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Arya Ansari, and Aprile D. Benner. 2016. "The Selection of Children From Low-Income Families into Preschool." Developmental psychology 52(4): 599-612. US: American Psychological Association.
- Susperreguy, Maria Ines, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2016. "Maternal Math Talk in the Home and Math Skills in Preschool Children." Early Education and Development 27: 841-857.
- Trentacosta, Christopher J., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Colter M. Mitchell, Luke W. Hyde, and Dana Dolinoy. 2016. "Environmental Contaminants and Child Development." Child Development Perspectives 10(4): 228-233.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., Justin Jager, and Julie Maslowsky. 2015. "Answering Developmental Questions Using Secondary Data." Child Development Perspectives 9(4): 256-261.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Sandra Tang. 2015. "Parenting with Digital Devices." in Emerging Trends in the Social and Behavioral Sciences, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Susperreguy, Maria-Ines, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2015. "Socialization of maths in the home environment: using voice recordings to study maths talk / Socialización de matemáticas en el hogar: uso de grabaciones de voz para estudiar conversaciones matemáticas." Estudios de Psicología 36(3): 643-655. Routledge.
- Tang, Sandra, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2015. "The association of punitive parenting practices and adolescent achievement." Journal of Family Psychology 29(6): 873-883. US: American Psychological Association.
- Watts, Tyler W., Meichu Chen, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Greg J. Duncan, Amy Claessens, Kathryn Duckworth, Mimi Engel, Robert Siegler, an, et al. 2015. "The Role of Mediators in the Development of Longitudinal Mathematics Achievement Associations." Child development 86(6): 1892-1907.
- Zilanawala, A., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, J. Nazroo, A. Sacker, Sharon Z. Simonton, and Y. Kelly. 2015. "Race/ethnic disparities in early childhood BMI, obesity and overweight in the United Kingdom and United States." International journal of obesity 39(3): 520-529.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Justin Jager. 2014. "Trajectories of Achievement Within Race/Ethnicity: "Catching Up" in Achievement Across Time." The Journal of Educational Research 107(3): 197-208.
- Watts, Tyler W., Greg J. Duncan, Robert S. Siegler, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2014. "What's Past Is Prologue: Relations Between Early Mathematics Knowledge and High School Achievement." Educational Researcher 43(7): 352-360.
- Williams, Abigail B., Joseph P. Ryan, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Vonnie C. McLoyd, and John E. Schulenberg. 2014. "The Discontinuity of Offending Among African American Youth in the Juvenile Justice System." Youth & Society 49(5): 610 - 633.
- Falk, Emily, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Kenneth M. Langa, John E. Schulenberg, Daniel P. Keating, Fabian T. Pfeffer, Colter M. Mitchell, Megan E. Patrick, et al. 2013. "What is a representative brain? Neuroscience meets population science." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110(44): 17615-17622.
- Olson, S. L., A. J. Sameroff, J. E. Lansford, H. Sexton, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, J. E. Bates, G. S. Pettit, and K. A. Dodge. 2013. "Deconstructing the externalizing spectrum: growth patterns of overt aggression, covert aggression, oppositional behavior, impulsivity/inattention, and emotion dysregulation between school entry and early adolescence." Development and psychopathology 25(3): 817-842.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., C. Mendoza, and Maria Ines Susperreguy. 2012. "Pathways to college: Latino youth and the transition to higher education." Pp. 55-76 in Transitions across schools and cultures: Advances in motivation and achievement, Vol 17., edited by Karabenick, S. A., Urdan, T. C. Bingley, U.K.: Emerald.
- Gershoff, Elizabeth T., Jennifer E. Lansford, Holly R. Sexton, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Arnold J. Sameroff. 2012. "Longitudinal Links Between Spanking and Children's Externalizing Behaviors in a National Sample of White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian American Families." Child development 83(3): 838-843.
- Siegler, Robert S., Greg J. Duncan, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Kathryn Duckworth, Amy Claessens, Mimi Engel, Maria Ines Susperreguy, and Meichu Chen. 2012. "Early Predictors of High School Mathematics Achievement." Psychological Science 23(7): 691-697.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. 2011. "The use of large-scale data sets for the study of developmental science." Pp. 148-162 in Handbook of developmental research methods, edited by Laursen, Brett, Little, Todd, Card, Noel. New York: Guilford Press.
- Jager, Justin, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2011. "Same-sex Sexuality and Adolescent Psychological Well-being: The Influence of Sexual Orientation, Early Reports of Same-sex Attraction, and Gender." Self and Identity 10(4): 417-444.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., Justin Jager, and W. Andrew Collins. 2009. "The Self in Action: An Emerging Link Between Self-Beliefs and Behaviors in Middle Childhood." Child Development Perspectives 3(3): 184-188.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Holly R. Sexton. 2009. "Race Differences in Parental Influences on Child Achievement: Multiple Pathways to Success." Merrill-Palmer Quarterly 55(3): 285-318.
- Magnuson, Katherine A., Holly R. Sexton, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Aletha C. Huston. 2009. "Increases in Maternal Education and Young Children's Language Skills." Merrill-Palmer Quarterly 55(3): 319-350.
- Pettit, Gregory S., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Katherine Magnuson. 2009. "Educational Attainment in Developmental Perspective: Longitudinal Analyses of Continuity, Change, and Process." Merrill-Palmer Quarterly 55(3): 217-223.
- Bates, John E., W. A. Collins, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, L. Rowell Huesmann, Justin Jager, and Jennifer E. Lansford. 2008. "Changes in the Relation of Self-Efficacy Beliefs and Behaviors Across Development." Child development 79(5): 1257-1269.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. 2008. "Self-esteem." Pp. 416-421 in Encyclopedia of Counseling. Vol 2.,Personal and Emotional Counseling, edited by Leong, Fredrick T. Thousand Oaks, CA.: Sage.
- Messersmith, Emily E., Jessica L. Garrett, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, Oksana Malanchuk, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2008. "Career Development From Adolescence Through Emerging Adulthood: Insights From Information Technology Occupations." Journal of Adolescent Research 23(2): 206-227.
- Goldstein, Sara E., Oksana Malanchuk, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2007. "Risk Factors of Sexual Harassment by Peers: A Longitudinal Investigation of African American and European American Adolescents." Journal of Research on Adolescence 17(2): 285-300.
- Taylor, Laramie D., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Oksana Malanchuk. 2007. "Self-esteem, academic self-concept, and aggression at school." Aggressive Behavior 33(2): 130-136.
- Simpkins, Sandra D., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2006. "Math and science motivation: A longitudinal examination of the links between choices and beliefs." Developmental psychology 42(1): 70-83.
- Zarrett, N., O. Malanchuck, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2006. "Examining the gender gap in IT by race: Young adults' decisions to pursue an IT career." Pp. 55-88 in Women and information technology: Research on the reasons for under-representation, edited by Aspray, W., McGrath Cohoon, J. Boston: MIT Press.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. 2005. "The Influence of Parent Education and Family Income on Child Achievement: The Indirect Role of Parental Expectations and the Home Environment." Journal of Family Psychology 19(2): 294-304. American Psychological Association.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2005. "Influences and barriers to better parent-school collaborations." 202 pages in School-family partnerships: Promoting the social, emotional, and academic growth of children, edited by Patrikakou, Evanthia N., Weissberg, R. P., Manning, J., Walberg, H. J., Redding, S. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2005. "Social executive functioning." Pp. 44-50 in Preparing educators to involve families : from theory to practice, edited by Weiss, Heather Bastow, Krieder, H., Lopez, M. E., Chatman, C. M. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications.
- Eccles, Jacquelynne S., and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2005. "Influences of parents' education on their children's educational attainments: the role of parent and child perceptions." London Review of Education 3(3): 191-204. Routledge.
- Goldstein, Sara E., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2005. "Parents, Peers, and Problem Behavior: A Longitudinal Investigation of the Impact of Relationship Perceptions and Characteristics on the Development of Adolescent Problem Behavior." Developmental psychology 41(2): 401-413. American Psychological Association.
- Jacobs, J., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, M. Bleeker, Jacquelynne S. Eccles, and O. Malanchuck. 2005. ""I can do it but I don't want to." The impact of parents, interests, and activities on gender differences in math." Pp. 246-263 in Gender difference in mathematics, edited by Gallagher, Ann, Kaufman, James. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Linver, Miriam R., and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2005. "The slippery slope: What predicts math grades in middle and high school?" New directions for child and adolescent development 2005(110): 49-64.
- Simpkins, Sandra D., and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2005. "The intersection between self-concepts and values: Links between beliefs and choices in high school." New directions for child and adolescent development 2005(110): 31-47.
- Simpkins, Sandra D., Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2005. "Parents' Socializing Behavior and Children's Participation in Math, Science, and Computer Out-of-School Activities." Applied Developmental Science 9(1): 14-30.
- Simpkins, Sandra D., J. A. Fredricks, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Jacquelynne S. Eccles. 2005. "Healthy mind, healthy habits: The influence of activity involvement in middle childhood." in Middle childhood: Contexts of development, edited by Huston, Aletha C., Ripke, Marka N. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Wigfield, A., Jacquelynne S. Eccles, U. Schiefele, R. Roeser, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2005. "Development of achievement motivation." in Handbook of child psychology. Volume 3, Social, emotional, and personality development, edited by Eisenberg, Nancy, Damon, William, Lerner, Richard M. Hoboken, N.J: John Wiley & Sons.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E., and Howard M. Sandler. 2001. "A Meta-Analysis of Measures of Self-Esteem for Young Children: A Framework for Future Measures." Child development 72(3): 887-906.
- Yeung, Wei-Jun J., John F. Sandberg, Pamela E. Davis-Kean, and Sandra Hofferth. 2001. "Children's Time with Fathers in Intact Families." Journal of Marriage and Family 63(1): 136-154.