Faculty Associate, CPS
Assistant Professor, Political Science
Assistant Professor, Ford School Of Public Policy
I am an assistant professor of political science and public policy (by courtesy) at the University of Michigan and a faculty associate in the Center for Political Studies at the Institute for Social Research. Previously, I was a fellow in the Department of Political Science at Washington University in St. Louis and at the Center for the Study of Democratic Politics at Princeton University.
I study American political institutions, policymaking under separate powers, and the executive branch. Please contact me if you have questions about my work.
- Lowande, Kenneth. 2019. "Politicization and Responsiveness in Executive Agencies." The Journal of Politics 81(1): 33-48.
- Lowande, Kenneth, Melinda Ritchie, and Erinn Lauterbach. 2019. "Descriptive and Substantive Representation in Congress: Evidence from 80,000 Congressional Inquiries." American Journal of Political Science 63(3): 644-659.
- Lowande, Kenneth. 2018. "Who Polices the Administrative State?" American Political Science Review 112(4): 874-890.
- Clarke, Andrew J., Thomas R. Gray, and Kenneth Lowande. 2018. "Causal Inference from Pivotal Politics Theories." The Journal of Politics 80(3): 1082-1087.
- Lowande, Kenneth, Jeffery A. Jenkins, and Andrew J. Clarke. 2018. "Presidential Particularism and US Trade Politics*." Political Science Research and Methods 6(2): 265-281.
- Lowande, Kenneth. 2018. "Delegation or Unilateral Action?" The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 34(1): 54-78.
- Lowande, Kenneth, and Thomas Gray. 2017. "Public Perception of the Presidential Toolkit." Presidential Studies Quarterly 47(3): 432-447.
- Clarke, Andrew J., Jeffery A. Jenkins, and Kenneth Lowande. 2017. "Tariff politics and congressional elections: exploring the Cannon Thesis." Journal of Theoretical Politics 29(3): 382-414.
- Lowande, Kenneth, and Justin Peck. 2017. "Congressional Investigations and the Electoral Connection." The Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 33(1): 1-27.
- Clarke, Andrew J., and Kenneth Lowande. 2016. "Informal Consequences of Budget Institutions in the US Congress." Legislative Studies Quarterly 41(4): 965-996.