Dr. Hu is an Assistant Research Scientist in the Demography of Aging, Disability and Care Program within the Survey Research Center. She received her Ph.D. in Survey Methodology at the University of Michigan in 2018. Her current research interests include the identification and reduction of measurement errors in cross-cultural surveys, survey non-response, longitudinal survey data analysis, methodological issues in surveys with older populations, and the use of machine learning in survey research. Dr. Hu is currently collaborating with the National Health and Aging Trends Study and National Study of Caregiving as a co-Investigator to enhance user outreach and evaluate new data collection designs.
- Mengyao Hu, Vicki A Freedman, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Lewis, Nora. 2023. Shared Care Networks Assisting Older Adults: New Insights from the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The Gerontologist 63(5):840-850.
- Olivia J. Killeen, Lindsey B. De Lott, Yunshu Zhou, Mengyao Hu, David Rein, Nicholas Reed, Bonnielin K. Swenor, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Population Prevalence of Vision Impairment in US Adults 71 Years and Older: The National Health and Aging Trends Study. JAMA Ophthalmology 141(2):197-204.
- Hu,Mengyao, Lee,Sunghee, Hongwei Xu, Roberto Melipillán, Jacqui Smith, Arie Kapteyn. 2022. Improving Anchoring Vignette Methodology in Health Surveys with Image Vignettes. methods, data, analyses 16(2):273-314.
- Josh Ehrlich, Hu,Mengyao, Zhou, Yunshu, Kai, Rohan, De Lott, Lindsey B. 2022. Visual Difficulty, Race and Ethnicity, and Activity Limitation Trajectories Among Older Adults in the United States: Findings From the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 77(Supplement_1):S39-S50.
- Vicki A Freedman, Mengyao Hu, Kasper, Judith D. 2022. Changes in Older Adults' Social Contact During the COVID-19 Pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 77(7):e160-e166.
- De Lott, Lindsey B, Kolli, Ajay, Zhou, Yunshu, Hu, Mengyao, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Development and Validation of a Novel Indicator of Visual Disability in the National Health and Aging Trends Study. Innovation in Aging
- Hu, Mengyao, Freedman, Vicki A, Ehrlich,Josh, Reed, Nicholas S, Billington, Catherine, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Collecting Objective Measures of Visual and Auditory Function in a National in-Home Survey of Older Adults. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(2):309-334.
- Dong Xu, Jay Pan, Xiaochen Dai, Hu, Mengyao, Yiyuan Cai, Hua He, Yaoguang Zhang, Jing Liao, Yaolong Chen, Wenjie Gong, Zhongliang Zhou, Nan Zhang, Xiaohui Wang, Kwun Chuen Gary Chan, Xiaohua YING, Yue Cai, Ruixin Wang, Qingping Xue, Chi-Man (Winnie) Yip. 2021. Comparing quality of primary healthcare between public and private providers in China: study protocol of a cross-sectional study using unannounced standardised patients in seven provinces of China. BMJ Open 11:e040792.
- Smith, Jacqui, Hu, Mengyao, Private: Lee,Haena. 2021. Measuring Life Course Events and Life Histories. Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences, 9th Edition
- Freedman, Vicki A, Hu, Mengyao, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Changes in older adults' social contact during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B