Dr. Ehrlich is an ophthalmologist and population health researcher. His research is focused on understanding and addressing the adverse impact of vision impairment and blindness on health, disability, and quality-of-life, with a particular focus on older adults. He is the principal investigator of NIH funded research in this field, and also collaborates with a number of large population-based studies on aging in the U.S. and globally to develop and implement measures of vision and eye health. Dr. Ehrlich is a Visiting Scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He is also an invited member of the Lancet Global Health Commission on Global Eye Health and the Vision Loss Experts Group, a technical advisory group to the World Health Organization and the Global Burden of Disease project. Dr. Ehrlich co-directs the Jerome Jacobson Program in International Ophthalmology where his global health work is focused on research capacity building, systems strengthening, and collaborative research.
- Olivia J. Killeen, Yunshu Zhou, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Objectively Measured Visual Impairment and Dementia Prevalence in Older Adults in the US. JAMA Ophthalmology 141(8):786-790.
- Olivia J. Killeen, Lindsey B. De Lott, Yunshu Zhou, Mengyao Hu, David Rein, Nicholas Reed, Bonnielin K. Swenor, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Population Prevalence of Vision Impairment in US Adults 71 Years and Older: The National Health and Aging Trends Study. JAMA Ophthalmology 141(2):197-204.
- Olivia J Killeen, Kate M Saylor, Caroline Hogan, Adam Jacobson, Megan Collins, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Barriers and facilitators to vision screening in the U.S. pediatric primary care setting: a mixed methods systematic review protocol. JBI Evidence Synthesis 21(5):985-992.
- Philippa J Clarke, Anam M. Khan, Neil Kamdar, Kristian Seiler, Kenzie Latham-Mintus, Mark D. Peterson, Michelle A. Meade, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus among Adults Aging with Vision Impairment: The Role of the Neighborhood Environment. Disability and Health Journal 16(1):101371.
- Lilia T. Popova, Rebhi O. Abuzaitoun, David Marc Fresco, Maria Fernanda Abalem, Chris A. Andrews, David C. Musch, Josh Ehrlich, K. Thiran Jayasundera. 2023. Positive feedback loop between vision-related anxiety and self-reported visual difficulty. Ophthalmic Genetics 44(4):327-333.
- Rahul S. Iyengar, Michael Krautmann, Satyaprabha Kotha, John Macom, Nick Kourgialis, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of a Regional Program for Identifying and Treating Children with Correctable Refractive Error in Indonesia. Ophthalmic Epidemiology
- Nicholas S. Reed, Emmanuel E. Garcia-Morales, Clarice Myers, Alison R. Huang, Josh Ehrlich, Olivia J. Killeen, Julie E. Hoover-Fong, Frank R. Lin, Michelle L. Arnold, Esther S. Oh, Jennifer A. Schrack, Jennifer A. Deal. 2023. Hearing Loss and Hearing Aid Use Among US Medicare Beneficiaries Aged 71 Years and Older. JAMA Network Open 6(7):e2326320.
- Emmanuel E. Garcia Morales, Nicholas S. Reed, Yunshu Zhou, Sahar Assi, Varshini Varadaraj, Frank R. Lin, Josh Ehrlich, Jennifer A. Deal. 2023. Population prevalence of dual sensory loss in community-dwelling US adults 71 years and older: Evidence from the National Health and Aging Trends Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Kumar, Priyanka, Chung, Grace, Eisenberg, Matthew, Garcia- Morales, Emmanuel, Reed, Nicholas, Sheehan, Orla C, Josh Ehrlich, Swenor, Bonnielin, Varadaraj, Varshini. 2023. Vision Difficulty and Dementia: Economic Hardships among Older Adults and their Caregivers. Frontiers in Epidemiology 3:1210204.
- Josh Ehrlich, Andes, Linda J., Eisenberg, Anna, Saaddine, Jinan, Lundeen, Elizabeth A.. 2023. Trends in the Diagnosed Prevalence and Incidence of Major Eye Diseases in Medicare Part B Fee-for-Service Beneficiaries Aged 68 Years or Older. Ophthalmology