Amanda J Sonnega
Amanda Sonnega, PhD, is an Associate Research Scientist in the Survey Research Center of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan (UM), where she is responsible for integrating communication, outreach, and education efforts for the Health and Retirement Study. She received her doctorate through the Department of Health, Behavior, and Society at the Johns Hopkins University and completed a postdoctoral fellowship within the ISR program in Social Environment and Health. Dr. Sonnega has lectured in the UM School of Public Health on psychosocial factors in health-related behavior. Her research focuses on life course trajectories of physical and mental health; institutional and personal factors associated with vulnerability and resilience in aging individuals; and work transitions and their broad effects on health and well-being.
- Cupery, Tim, Bush, Evelyn, Turner, Robert W., Amanda J Sonnega, Rosales, Teri, Vissa, Kalpana, Whitfield, Keith E., James Jackson, David R Weir. 2023. Positive Effects of Religion and Social Ties on the Health of Former NFL Athletes. Journal of Religion and Health 62:1324-1342.
- Amanda J Sonnega, John Sonnega. 2023. Epidemiology for occupational health psychology research: Understanding the approach. Handbook of occupational health psychology
- Assari, Shervin, Cobb, Sharon, Najand, Babak, Zare, Hossein, Amanda J Sonnega. 2023. Race, Educational Attainment, and Sustained High Body Mass Index over 24 Years of Follow-up in Middle-Aged and Older Adults. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
- Megan Zuelsdorff, Amanda J Sonnega, Lisa L. Barnes, DeAnnah R. Byrd, Deborah K. Rose, Robynn Cox, Derek Norton, Robert W. Turner. 2023. Childhood and adulthood trauma associate with cognitive aging among Black and White older adults. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Rahmani, Arash, Najand, Babak, Amanda J Sonnega, Akhlaghipour, Golnoush, Mendez, Mario F., Assari, Shervin. 2022. Intersectional Effects of Race and Educational Attainment on Memory Function of Middle-Aged and Older Adults With Alzheimer's Disease. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities
- Evelyn Bush, Tim Cupery, Robert W. Turner, II, Amanda J Sonnega, David R Weir, Keith E. Whitfield, James S. Jackson. 2020. The Price of Playing Through Pain: The Link Between Physical and Behavioral Health in Former NFL Athletes. American Journal of Men's Health 14(6)
- Sonnega, Amanda J, Leggett, Amanda Noel, Renee Pepin, Shervin Assari. 2020. Physical Activity and Insomnia Symptoms Over 10 Years in a U.S. National Sample of Late-Middle-Age and Older Adults: Age Matters. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity 28(4):618-622.
- Evelyn Bush, Tim Cupery, Robert W. Turner, Sonnega, Amanda J, Weir, David R, Keith E. Whitfield, Private: Jackson, James Sidney. 2020. The Price of Playing Through Pain: The Link Between Physical and Behavioral Health in Former NFL Athletes. American Journal of Men's Health 14(6):1557988320975541.
- Matthew C. Lohman, Sonnega, Amanda J, Nicholas V. Resciniti, Leggett, Amanda Noel. 2020. Frailty Phenotype and Cause-Specific Mortality in the US. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A 75(10):1935-1942.
- Leggett, Amanda Noel, Sonnega, Amanda J, Matthew C. Lohman. 2020. Till Death Do Us Part: Intersecting Health and Spousal Dementia Caregiving on Caregiver Mortality. Journal of Aging and Health 32(7-8):871-879.