Last Revision Date — March 18, 2022
The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests.
This unit-level privacy notice provides more specific information on how the Survey Research Center website and the websites of its affiliated centers collect and process your personal information.
The notice applies to our practices for gathering and disseminating information related to the websites of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) and its affiliated centers (“we”, “us”, or “our”) and is meant to provide you an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
How We Collect Information
We collect personal information in the following circumstances:
- Direct Collection, when you directly provide it to us, such as when you complete forms, submit comments, etc.
- Automated Processes, when personal information is provided to us through technology, such as through a cookie placed on your computer when you visit our websites.
What Type of Information We Collect
We directly collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:
- Contact information, such as name, affiliation, address, and email address.
Automated Collection by U-M
During your visit to our website, we automatically collect and store certain information about your visit, which includes:
- Authentication information, such as your U-M username (uniqname)
- The Internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using
- The date and time of visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to umich.edu.
Automated Collection by Third Parties
In addition, we collect information through third-party advertising and marketing providers (ex: Google Analytics, and Google Search Console). Information collected may include:
- Content viewed during the visit
- Date and time of visit
- Amount of time spent on the website
- Visitor location based on IP address
- Demographic information
- Search terms entered on the website
How This Information Is Used
We use the personal information we collect to:
- Provide service support: information about your visits to our website allows us to monitor website performance, make improvements to site navigation and content, and provide you with a positive experience, relevant outreach and effective engagement
- Support educational programs: information collected through our website is used in processes related to admissions
- Promote the Michigan Program in Survey and Data Science: information related to interactions with our website is used to market events and services to prospective students and other audiences
With Whom This Information Is Shared
The University of Michigan does not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as with service providers that support our business activities. We require our service providers to keep your personal information secure. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices You Can Make About Your Information
You may choose not to enter personal information into our website. This would not affect your experience or access to information on our websites. You can change email and communication preferences by clicking on the Unsubscribe or Manage Your Preferences links at the bottom of any email from us and unchecking the relevant boxes.
Automated Collection: U-M and Third-party Cookies
We use “cookies” to enhance your user experience when visiting our website. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit. When you access our website, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings:
U-M Session Cookie
Purpose: U-M session cookies are used to track your page requests after you login with your U-M credentials. These cookies allow you to proceed through different pages on our website without having to authenticate for each new area you visit.
Opt-out: You can adjust your session cookies through your browser settings.
Google Analytics and Google Search Console
Opt-out: To block these cookies, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Alternatively, you can manage your browser settings to accept or refuse these cookies.
Automated Collection: Social Media Plugins
How Information Is Secured
The University of Michigan recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The University of Michigan strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
Privacy Notice Changes
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
Who to Contact with Questions or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact the UM Institute for Social Research or 426 Thompson Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Notice specific to persons within the European Union