Thomas C. Buchmueller
Faculty Associate, PSC
Professor, Ross School Of Business
Professor, Health Management And Policy
Tom Buchmueller is a health economist whose research focuses on the economics of health insurance and related public policy issues. His recent work has examined the relationship between employer-sponsored insurance and labor market outcomes, interactions between the public sector and private insurance markets and consumer demand for health insurance. In addition to his research on U.S. policy topics, he has published studies on the economics of health insurance in France, Australia and the Netherlands. Much of his recent research focuses on health care reform in the U.S., with a particular emphasis on the effect of the Affordable Care Act's insurance coverage expansions on patients and provider organizations. Dr. Buchmueller is on the Institutional Leadership Team of the University's Institute of Health Policy and Innovation. He is a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research and an elected member of the Board of Directors of the American Society of Health Economist
- Michigan Retirement and Disability Research Center (MRDRC). (John P. Laitner, Daniel S. Silverman, Dmitriy L. Stolyarov, Robert F. Schoeni, John Bound, Linda L. Tesar) 2018-2023. Social Security Administration.
- Medicaid Expansion as Unemployment Safety Net. (Helen G. Levy, Thomas C. Buchmueller) 2018-2020. Sage.
- The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on Household Economic Well-Being. (Helen G. Levy, Thomas C. Buchmueller) 2016-2018. Russel Sage.
- Michigan Retirement Research Center (MRRC) 2018. (John P. Laitner, Brooke Helppie-McFall, Amanda J. Sonnega, David R. Weir, Helen G. Levy, Kenneth M. Langa, Thomas C. Buchmueller, Dmitriy L. Stolyarov) 2013-2018. SSA.
- Levy, Helen G., John Z. Ayanian, Thomas C. Buchmueller, Donald R. Grimes, and Gabriel Ehrlich. 2020. "Macroeconomic Feedback Effects of Medicaid Expansion: Evidence from Michigan." Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 45(1): 5-48.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and Helen G. Levy. 2020. "The ACA's Impact On Racial And Ethnic Disparities In Health Insurance Coverage And Access To Care." Health Affairs 39(3): 395-402.
- Levy, Helen G., Thomas C. Buchmueller, and Sayeh Nikpay. 2019. "The Impact of Medicaid Expansion on Household Consumption." Eastern Economic Journal 45(26-33): 34-57.
- Rhodes, Jordan H., Thomas C. Buchmueller, Helen G. Levy, and Sayeh S. Nikpay. 2019. "Heterogeneous Effects of the ACA Medicaid Expansion on Hospital Financial Outcomes." Contemporary Economic Policy 38(1): 81-93.
- Zawacki, Alice M., Jessica P. Vistnes, and Thomas C. Buchmueller. Forthcoming. "Why are employer-sponsored health insurance premiums higher in the public sector than in the private sector?" Monthly Labor Review : 1-19.
- Levy, Helen G., Thomas C. Buchmueller, and Sayeh Nikpay. 2018. "Health Reform and Retirement." The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 73(4): 713-722.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and Colleen Carey. 2018. "The Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Opioid Utilization in Medicare." American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 10(1): 77-112.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and Léontine Goldzahl. 2018. "The effect of organized breast cancer screening on mammography use: Evidence from France." Health Economics 27(12): 1963-1980.
- Dumontet, Magali, Thomas C. Buchmueller, Paul Dourgnon, Florence Jusot, and Jerome Wittwer. 2017. "Gatekeeping and the utilization of physician services in France: Evidence on the Medecin traitant reform." Health Policy 121(6): 675-682.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and Robert G. Valletta. 2017. "Work, Health, And Insurance: A Shifting Landscape For Employers And Workers Alike." Health Affairs 36(2): 214-221.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and Helen G. Levy. 2017. "Health Reform in the Age of Trump." Pp. 23-33 in Economics and Policy in the Age of Trump, edited by Brown, Chad P. London: CEPR Press.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., Zachary M. Levinson, Helen G. Levy, and Barbara L. Wolfe. 2016. "Effect of the Affordable Care Act on Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Insurance Coverage." Am J Public Health 106(8): 1416-1421. American Public Health Association.
- Nikpay, Sayeh, Thomas C. Buchmueller, and Helen G. Levy. 2016. "Affordable Care Act Medicaid Expansion Reduced Uninsured Hospital Stays In 2014." Health affairs 35(1): 106-110.
- Vujicic, Marko, Thomas C. Buchmueller, and Rachel Klein. 2016. "Dental Care Presents The Highest Level Of Financial Barriers, Compared To Other Types Of Health Care Services." Health Affairs 35(12): 2176-2182.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., Sarah M. Miller, and Marko Vujicic. 2016. "How Do Providers Respond to Changes in Public Health Insurance Coverage? Evidence from Adult Medicaid Dental Benefits." American Economic Journal-Economic Policy 8(4): 70-102.
- Nikpay, S., Thomas C. Buchmueller, and Helen G. Levy. 2015. "Early Medicaid Expansion In Connecticut Stemmed The Growth In Hospital Uncompensated Care." Health affairs 34(7): 1170-1179.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and Meliyanni Johar. 2015. "Obesity and health expenditures: Evidence from Australia." Economics and human biology 17: 42-58.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., Sean Orzol, and Lara Shore-Sheppard. 2015. "The Effect of Medicaid Payment Rates on Access to Dental Care Among Children." American Journal of Health Economics 1(2): 194-223.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., Sean Orzol, and Lara Shore-Sheppard. 2014. "Stability of Children's Insurance Coverage and Implications for Access to Care: Evidence from the Survey of Income and Program Participation." International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics 14(2): 109-126.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., Colleen Carey, and Helen G. Levy. 2013. "Will Employers Drop Health Insurance Coverage Because Of The Affordable Care Act?" Health affairs 32(9): 1522-1530.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., Kyle Lynn Grazier, R. Hirth, and E. Okeke. 2013. "The Price Sensitivity of Medicare Beneficiaries: A Regression Discontinuity Approach." Health Economics 22(1): 35-51.
- Sommers, B. D., Thomas C. Buchmueller, S. L. Decker, Colleen Carey, and R. Kronick. 2013. "The Affordable Care Act Has Led to Significant Gains in Health Insurance and Access to Care for Young Adults." Health Affairs 32(1): 165-174.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., D. G. Fiebig, G. Jones, and E. Savage. 2013. "Preference Heterogeneity and Selection in Private Health Insurance: The Case of Australia." Journal of Health Economics 32(5): 757-767.
- Wasi, Nada, Bernard Van den Berg, and Thomas C. Buchmueller. 2012. "Heterogeneous effects of child disability on maternal labor supply: Evidence from the 2000 US Census." Labour Economics 19(1): 139-154.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., and C. Carpenter. 2012. "The Effect of Requiring Private Employers to Extend Health Benefit Eligibility to Same-Sex Partners of Employees: Evidence from California." Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 31(2): 388-403.
- Schoeni, Robert F., Thomas C. Buchmueller, and Vicki A. Freedman. 2011. "Socioeconomic Status and Health Over the Life Course and Across Generations: Introduction to a Special Issue and Overview of a Unique Data Resource." The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 13.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C., J. DiNardo, and R. Valletta. 2011. "The Effect of an Employer Health Insurance Mandate on Health Insurance Coverage and the Demand for Labor: Evidence from Hawaii." American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 3(4): 25-51.
- Study by Levy and Buchmueller finds After 10 Years of Obamacare, Racial Gaps in Coverage Persist
- Buchmeller explains some of the benefits of a middle-of-the-road government health plan
- Buchmueller on the connection between credit scores and auto insurance rates
- Buchmueller says employee wages are hit harder than corporate profits by rising health insurance costs
- Levy, Buchmueller and colleagues examine Medicaid expansion's impact on ER visits
- Buchmueller says must-access program curbs doctor-shopping for opioids
- Buchmueller and Levy discuss uncertain future of Michigan's health insurance marketplace under ACA
- Buchmueller weighs in on potential effects of cutting back on Medicaid plans expanded under ACA
- Buchmueller breaks down partisan views on Obamacare
- Buchmueller and others express optimism about current and future impacts of ACA