Ethan F. Kross
Faculty Associate, RCGD
Dr. Kross' research aims to understand the factors that enable people to adaptively regulate triggered impulses and emotions that undermine their goals and compromise their health. In this vein, his research to date has focused on attempting to resolve a key paradox in the coping literature. On the one hand, substantial evidence suggests that in order to adaptively "work through" negative experiences it is helpful to analyze and understand one's feelings. On the other hand, people's attempts to do this are often counterproductive leading to rumination and/or avoidance. Dr. Kross' research addresses this paradox by taking an integrative approach, using measures and methods at multiple levels of analysis (e.g., behavioral, physiological, neuroscience-fMRI) to shed light on the mechanisms that distinguish adaptive and maladaptive forms of emotional processing, and examine how knowledge of such basic mechanisms can be used to facilitate coping in everyday life.
- Orvell, Ariana, Ethan F. Kross, and Susan A. Gelman. 2018. "That's how "you" do it: Generic you expresses norms during early childhood." Journal of Experimental Child Psychology 165: 183-195.
- Moser, Jason S., Ethan F. Kross, Adrienne Dougherty, Whitney I. Mattson, Benjamin Katz, Tim P. Moran, Darwin Guevarra, Holly Shablack, et al. 2017. "Third-person self-talk facilitates emotion regulation without engaging cognitive control: Converging evidence from ERP and fMRI." Scientific Reports 7: 4519.
- Kross, Ethan F. 2017. "Is Psychology Headed in the Right Direction?" Perspectives on Psychological Science 12(4): 694-698.
- Leitner, Jordan B., Ozlem Ayduk, Rodolfo Mendoza-Denton, Adam Magerman, Rachel Amey, Ethan F. Kross, and Chad E. Forbes. 2017. "Self-distancing improves interpersonal perceptions and behavior by decreasing medial prefrontal cortex activity during the provision of criticism." Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 12(4): 534-543.
- Koban, Leonie, Ethan F. Kross, Choong-Wan Woo, Luka Ruzic, and Tor D. Wager. 2017. "Frontal-Brainstem Pathways Mediating Placebo Effects on Social Rejection." Journal of Neuroscience 37(13): 3621-3631.
- Orvell, Ariana, Ethan F. Kross, and Susan A. Gelman. 2017. "PSYCHOLOGY How "you" makes meaning." Science 355(6331): 1299-1301.
- Verduyn, Philippe, Oscar Ybarra, Maxime Resibois, John Jonides, and Ethan F. Kross. 2017. "Do Social Network Sites Enhance or Undermine Subjective Well-Being? A Critical Review." Social Issues and Policy Review 11(1): 274-302.
- Kross, Ethan F., Brian D. Vickers, Ariana Orvell, Izzy Gainsburg, Tim P. Moran, Margaret Boyer, John Jonides, Jason Moser, an, et al. 2017. "Third-Person Self-Talk Reduces Ebola Worry and Risk Perception by Enhancing Rational Thinking." Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being 9(3): 387-409.
- Felsman, Peter, Philippe Verduyn, Ozlem Ayduk, and Ethan F. Kross. 2017. "Being present: Focusing on the present predicts improvements in life satisfaction but not happiness." Emotion 17(7): 1047-1051.
- White, Rachel E., Emily O. Prager, Catherine Schaefer, Ethan F. Kross, Angela L. Duckworth, and Stephanie M. Carlson. 2017. "The "Batman Effect": Improving Perseverance in Young Children." Child Development 88(5): 1563-1571.
- Mohr, Alicia Hofelich, Ethan F. Kross, and Stephanie D. Preston. 2016. "Devil in the Details: Effects of Depression on the Prosocial Response Depend on Timing and Similarity." Adaptive Human Behavior and Physiology 2(4): 281-297.
- Park, Jiyoung, David Seungjae Lee, Holly Shablack, Philippe Verduyn, Patricia Deldin, Oscar Ybarra, John Jonides, and Ethan F. Kross. 2016. "When perceptions defy reality: The relationships between depression and actual and perceived Facebook social support." Journal of Affective Disorders 200: 37-44.
- Park, Jiyoung, Ozlem Ayduk, and Ethan F. Kross. 2016. "Stepping Back to Move Forward: Expressive Writing Promotes Self-Distancing." Emotion 16(3): 349-364.
- White, Rachel E., Ethan F. Kross, and Angela L. Duckworth. 2015. "Spontaneous Self-Distancing and Adaptive Self-Reflection Across Adolescence." Child Development 86(4): 1272-1281.
- Olsson, Andreas, Ethan F. Kross, Samuel S. Nordberg, Anna Weinberg, Jochen Weber, Sonja Schmer-Galunder, John Fossella, Tor D. Wager, et al. 2015. "Neural and genetic markers of vulnerability to post-traumatic stress symptoms among survivors of the World Trade Center attacks." Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 10(6): 863-868.
- Shen, Kelly, Ethan F. Kross, Bratislav Misic, Ben N. Cipollini, Gleb Bezgin, Martin Buschkuehl, R. Matthew Hutchison, Susanne M. Jaeggi, et al. 2015. "Stable long-range interhemispheric coordination is supported by direct anatomical projections." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 112(20): 6473-6478.
- Verduyn, Philippe, Oscar Ybarra, Ethan F. Kross, David Seungjae Lee, Jiyoung Park, Holly Shablack, Ariana Orvell, Joseph Bayer, an, et al. 2015. "Passive Facebook Usage Undermines Affective Well-Being: Experimental and Longitudinal Evidence." Journal of Experimental Psychology-General 144(2): 480-488.
- Kross, Ethan F. 2015. "Emotion Regulation Growth Points: Three More to Consider." Psychological Inquiry 26(1): 69-71.
- Ybarra, Oscar, Ethan F. Kross, and Jeffrey Sanchez-Burks. 2014. "The "Big Idea" That Is yet to Be: Toward A More Motivated, Contextual, and Dynamic Model of Emotional Intelligence." The Academy of Management Perspectives 28(2): 93-107.
- Berman, Marc G., Ethan F. Kross, Bratislav Misic, Martin Buschkuehl, Patricia J. Deldin, Scott Peltier, Nathan W. Churchill, Susanne M. Jaeggi, et al. 2014. "Does resting-state connectivity reflect depressive rumination? A tale of two analyses." Neuroimage 103: 267-279.
- Woo, Choong-Wan, Leonie Koban, Ethan F. Kross, Martin A. Lindquist, Marie T. Banich, Luka Ruzic, Jessica R. Andrews-Hanna, and Tor D. Wager. 2014. "Separate neural representations for physical pain and social rejection." Nature Communications 5: 5380.
- Misic, Bratislav, Ethan F. Kross, Patricia A. Reuter-Lorenz, Zainab Fatima, Mary K. Askren, Martin Buschkuehl, Nathan Churchill, Bernadine Cimprich, et al. 2014. "The Functional Connectivity Landscape of the Human Brain." Plos One 9(10): e111007.
- Grossmann, Igor, and Ethan F. Kross. 2014. "Exploring Solomon's Paradox: Self-Distancing Eliminates the Self-Other Asymmetry in Wise Reasoning About Close Relationships in Younger and Older Adults." Psychological Science 25(8): 1571-1580.
- Moser, Jason S., Rachel Hartwig, Tim P. Moran, Alexander A. Jendrusina, and Ethan F. Kross. 2014. "Neural Markers of Positive Reappraisal and Their Associations With Trait Reappraisal and Worry." Journal of Abnormal Psychology 123(1): 91-105.
- Kross, Ethan F., Emma Bruehlman-Senecal, Jiyoung Park, Aleah Burson, Adrienne Dougherty, Holly Shablack, Ryan Bremner, Jason Moser, an, et al. 2014. "Self-Talk as a Regulatory Mechanism: How You Do It Matters." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 106(2): 304-324.
- Krpan, Katherine M., Ethan F. Kross, Marc G. Berman, Patricia J. Deldin, Mary K. Askren, and John Jonides. 2013. "An everyday activity as a treatment for depression: The benefits of expressive writing for people diagnosed with major depressive disorder." Journal of Affective Disorders 150(3): 1148-1151.
- Kross, Ethan F., Oscar Ybarra, Philippe Verduyn, Emre Demiralp, Jiyoung Park, David Seungjae Lee, Natalie Lin, Holly Shablack, an, et al. 2013. "Facebook Use Predicts Declines in Subjective Well-Being in Young Adults." PLoS ONE 8(8): e69841.
- Buhle, Jason T., Ethan F. Kross, Hedy Kober, Kevin N. Ochsner, Peter Mende-Siedlecki, Jochen Weber, Brent L. Hughes, Lauren Y. Atlas, et al. 2013. "Common representation of pain and negative emotion in the midbrain periaqueductal gray." Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 8(6): 609-616.
- Wager, Tor D., Lauren Y. Atlas, Martin A. Lindquist, Mathieu Roy, Choong-Wan Woo, and Ethan F. Kross. 2013. "An fMRI-Based Neurologic Signature of Physical Pain." New England Journal of Medicine 368(15): 1388-1397.
- Berman, Marc G., Ethan F. Kross, Grigori Yourganov, Mary K. Askren, Ozlem Ayduk, B. J. Casey, Ian H. Gotlib, Anthony R. McIntosh, et al. 2013. "Dimensionality of brain networks linked to life-long individual differences in self-control." Nature Communications 4: 1373.
- Mischkowski, Dominik, Ethan F. Kross, and Brad J. Bushman. 2012. "Flies on the wall are less aggressive: Self-distancing "in the heat of the moment" reduces aggressive thoughts, angry feelings and aggressive behavior." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 48(5): 1187-1191.
- Verduyn, Philippe, Iven Van Mechelen, Ethan F. Kross, Carmen Chezzi, and Femke Van Bever. 2012. "The Relationship Between Self-Distancing and the Duration of Negative and Positive Emotional Experiences in Daily Life." Emotion 12(6): 1248-1263.
- Berman, Marc G., Ethan F. Kross, Katherine M. Krpan, Mary K. Askren, Aleah Burson, Patricia J. Deldin, Stephen Kaplan, Lindsey Sherdell, et al. 2012. "Interacting with nature improves cognition and affect for individuals with depression." Journal of Affective Disorders 140(3): 300-305.
- Kross, Ethan F., David Gard, Patricia Deldin, Jessica Clifton, and Ozlem Ayduk. 2012. ""Asking Why" From a Distance: Its Cognitive and Emotional Consequences for People With Major Depressive Disorder." Journal of Abnormal Psychology 121(3): 559-569.
- Kross, Ethan F., and Igor Grossmann. 2012. "Boosting Wisdom: Distance From the Self Enhances Wise Reasoning, Attitudes, and Behavior." Journal of Experimental Psychology-General 141(1): 43-48.
- Berman, Marc G., Ethan F. Kross, Richard D. Gonzalez, Derek Evan Nee, Melynda Casement, Hyang Sook Kim, Patricia Deldin, Emre Demiralp, et al. 2011. "Neural and behavioral effects of interference resolution in depression and rumination." Cognitive Affective & Behavioral Neuroscience 11(1): 85-96.
- Berman, Marc G., Scott Peltier, Derek Evan Nee, Ethan F. Kross, Patricia J. Deldin, and John Jonides. 2011. "Depression, rumination and the default network." Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 6(5): 548-555.
- Kross, Ethan F., Angela Duckworth, Ozlem Ayduk, Eli Tsukayama, and Walter Mischel. 2011. "The Effect of Self-Distancing on Adaptive Versus Maladaptive Self-Reflection in Children." Emotion 11(5): 1032-1039.
- Kross, Ethan F., and Ozlem Ayduk. 2011. "Making Meaning out of Negative Experiences by Self-Distancing." Current Directions in Psychological Science 20(3): 187-191.
- Kross, Ethan F., Marc G. Berman, Walter Mischel, Edward E. Smith, and Tor D. Wager. 2011. "Social rejection shares somatosensory representations with physical pain." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108(15): 6270-6275.
- Mischel, Walter, Ethan F. Kross, Ozlem Ayduk, Marc G. Berman, B. J. Casey, Ian H. Gotlib, John Jonides, Theresa Teslovich, et al. 2011. "'Willpower' over the life span: decomposing self-regulation." Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 6(2): 252-256.