Robin T. Jacob
Research Associate Professor, SRC - Youth Policy Lab
Research Associate Professor, School Of Education
Robin Tepper Jacob is an Associate Research Professor at the Institute for Social Research's Survey Research Center and the School of Education at the University of Michigan. She has a decade and a half of experience conducting rigorous evaluations of educational interventions, with a special interest in how policies and programs can affect the life trajectories of low-income youth. She has expertise in survey design and implementation, the design and implementation of randomized trials and quasi-experimental methods for program evaluation. Her work in low-income schools has focused on interventions that were designed to target a wide range of outcomes including: school readiness, early literacy skills, mathematics achievement, executive functioning, social-emotional skills and health related outcomes. Before joining the faculty at the University of Michigan, she worked for Abt Associate Inc. in Cambridge, MA where she served as the Deputy Project Director for the Reading First Impact Study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education. Dr. Jacob earned her Ph.D. in public policy from the University of Chicago.
- Expanding Evidence-Driven Policy in Michigan: Michigan Policy Innovation Lab. (Robin T. Jacob, Susan Marie Dynarski, Brian Jacob) 2020-2020. Arnold Foundation.
- High 5s Adaptation. (Robin T. Jacob) 2019-2020. Robin Hood Foundation.
- Variation in Early Mathematics Instruction Across Grades and Schools. (Robin T. Jacob) 2018-2019. Heising-Simons Foundation.
- Kindergarten Expansion - High 5s Project Year(s) 7/1/2017-6/30/2019. (Robin T. Jacob) 2017-2018. Robin Hood Foundation.
- Michigan Partner for Success Evaluation. (Robin T. Jacob) 2017-2018. Community Health Agencies, Department of.
- Expanding Children's Early Learning (ExCEL) Network: Summer Boost Study - Full Study. (Robin T. Jacob) 2016-2017.
- The Alignment of Mathematics Content in the Earliest Years of Formal Schooling. (Robin T. Jacob) 2016-2018. Heising-Simons Foundation.
- A Field Study of Mathematics Teaching in Kindergarten. (Robin T. Jacob) 2015-2017.
- Making Pre-K Count: Kindergarten Expansion - Supplement 3. (Robin T. Jacob) 2015-2017.
- Hill, Heather C., Douglas Lyman Corey, and Robin T. Jacob. 2018. "Dividing by Zero: Exploring Null Results in a Mathematics Professional Development Program." Teacher's College Record 120(6).
- Jacob, Robin T., Heather Hill, and Doug Corey. 2017. "The Impact of a Professional Development Program on Teachers' Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching, Instruction, and Student Achievement." Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness 10(2): 379-407. Routledge.
- Mattera, Shira K., Pamela A. Morris, Robin T. Jacob, Michelle Maier, and Natalia Rojas. 2017. "Designing Studies to Test Causal Questions About Early Math: The Development of Making Pre-K Count." Advances in Child Development and Behavior 53: 227-253.
- Jacob, Robin T., Catherine Armstrong, A. B. Bowden, and Yilin Pan. 2016. "Leveraging Volunteers: An Experimental Evaluation of a Tutoring Program for Struggling Readers." Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness 9: 67-92. Routledge.
- Jacob, Robin T., Marie-Andree Somers, Pei Zhu, and Howard Bloom. 2016. "The Validity of the Comparative Interrupted Time Series Design for Evaluating the Effect of School-Level Interventions." Evaluation review 40(3): 167-198.
- Miller, Robert James, Roger D. Goddard, Minjung Kim, Robin T. Jacob, Yvonne Goddard, and Patricia Schroeder. 2016. "Can Professional Development Improve School Leadership? Results From a Randomized Control Trial Assessing the Impact of McREL's Balanced Leadership Program on Principals in Rural Michigan Schools." Educational Administration Quarterly 52(4): 531-566.
- Jacob, Robin T., Roger Goddard, Minjung Kim, Robert Miller, and Yvonne Goddard. 2015. "Exploring the Causal Impact of the McREL Balanced Leadership Program on Leadership, Principal Efficacy, Instructional Climate, Educator Turnover, and Student Achievement." Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 37(3): 314-332.
- Jacob, Robin T., and Julia Parkinson. 2015. "The Potential for School-Based Interventions That Target Executive Function to Improve Academic Achievement: A Review." Review of Educational Research 85(4): 512-552.
- Jacob, Robin T., Roger D. Goddard, and Eun Sook Kim. 2014. "Assessing the Use of Aggregate Data in the Evaluation of School-Based Interventions: Implications for Evaluation Research and State Policy Regarding Public-Use Data." Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 36(1): 44-66.
- Jones, Stephanie M., Rebecca Bailey, and Robin T. Jacob. 2014. "Social-emotional learning is essential to classroom management." Phi Delta Kappan 96(2): 19-24.
- Hill, Heather C., Mary Beisiegel, and Robin T. Jacob. 2013. "Professional Development Research: Consensus, Crossroads, and Challenges." Educational Researcher 42(9): 476-487.
- Zhu, Pei, Robin T. Jacob, Howard Bloom, and Zeyu Xu. 2012. "Designing and Analyzing Studies That Randomize Schools to Estimate Intervention Effects on Student Academic Outcomes Without Classroom-Level Information." Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis 34(1): 45-68.
- Jacob, Robin T. 2011. "An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers." Evaluation review 35(1): 40-70.
- Jacob, Robin T., P. Zhu, and H. Bloom. 2010. "New empirical evidence for the design of group randomized trials in education." Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness 3(2): 157-198.
- Rowan, Brian P., Robin T. Jacob, and R. Corentti. 2009. "Using instructional logs to identify quality in educational settings." 13 pages in Defining and measuring quality in youth programs and classrooms, edited by Yohalem, Nicole, Granger, Robert C., Pittman, Karen J. San Francisco, Calif: Wiley.
- Duncan, Greg J., Ariel Kalil, S. E. Mayer, Robin T. Jacob, and M. R. Payne. 2005. "The apple does not fall far from the tree." in Unequal chances : family background and economic success, edited by Bowles, Samuel, Gintis, Herbert, Osborne Groves, Melissa. New York; Princeton, N.J: Russell Sage Foundation; Princeton University Press.
- Stone, Susan, and Robin T. Jacob. 2005. "Teachers and Students Speak." Education Next 5(1): 49-53.
- Jacob, Robin T. 2001. "Parental regulation and adolescent discretionary time-use decisions : findings from the NLSY97." in Social awakening : adolescent behavior as adulthood aproaches, edited by Michael, Robert T. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Foubert, J. D., Robin T. Jacob, and D. R. Morrison. 1997. "Predictors of student satisfaction in university residence halls." Journal of College and University Student Housing 27(1).