Dean C. Yang
Research Professor, PSC
Professor, Ford School Of Public Policy
Dean Yang's research focuses on the economic problems of developing countries. He is specifically interested in international migration, micro-finance, disasters and risk, human capital, international trade, and crime and corruption. His methodology includes randomized controlled trials in field settings, as well as analysis of novel data sources.
- Poverty and Resilience in the Aftermath of Disaster. (Dean C. Yang, Tanya Rosenblat, James Riddell IV) 2020-2020. USAID.
- RAPID: Health Decision-Making in the Aftermath of a Disaster: Evidence from Cyclone Idai in Mozambique. (Dean C. Yang, Tanya Rosenblat, James Riddell IV) 2019-2020. NSF.
- Training in the Demography and Economics of Aging. (John Bound, Dean C. Yang, Arline T. Geronimus, Sarah A. Burgard, Jeffrey D. Morenoff) 2017-2022. NIA.
- Health, Education, and Economic Interventions for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Mozambique. (Dean C. Yang) 2016-2018. United States Agency for International Development.
- COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH: Fingerprinting to Reduce Risky Borrowing. (Dean C. Yang) 2015-2018. National Science Foundation.
- Carter, Michael R., Rachid Laajaj, and Dean C. Yang. 2019. "Temporary agricultural input subsidies have lasting impacts: The Mozambique experiment." VoxDev 13.10.19.
- Barua, Rashmi, Gauri Kartini Shastry, and Dean C. Yang. Forthcoming. "Financial education for female foreign domestic workers in Singapore." Economics of Education Review : 101920.
- Shrestha, Slesh A., and Dean C. Yang. 2019. "Facilitating Worker Mobility: A Randomized Information Intervention among Migrant Workers in Singapore." Economic Development and Cultural Change 68(1): 63-91.
- Giné, X., J. Goldberg, Daniel S. Silverman, and Dean C. Yang. 2018. "Revising Commitments: Field Evidence on the Adjustment of Prior Choices." The Economic Journal 128(608): 159-188.
- Hicken, Allen D., Stephen Leider, Nico M. Ravanilla, and Dean C. Yang. 2018. "Temptation in vote-selling: Evidence from a field experiment in the Philippines." Journal of Development Economics 131: 1-14.
- Brune, Lasse, Xavier Giné, Jessica Goldberg, and Dean C. Yang. 2017. "Savings defaults and payment delays for cash transfers: Field experimental evidence from Malawi." Journal of Development Economics 129(Supplement C): 1-13.
- Yang, Dean C. 2017. "Migration policies for development." Revue d'Economie du Developpement 25(1): 75-95.
- Brune, Lasse, Xavier Giné, Jessica Goldberg, and Dean C. Yang. 2016. "Facilitating Savings for Agriculture: Field Experimental Evidence from Malawi." Economic Development and Cultural Change 64(2): 187-220.
- Beam, Emily, David Mckenzie, and Dean C. Yang. 2016. "Unilateral Facilitation Does Not Raise International Labor Migration from the Philippines." Economic Development and Cultural Change 64(2): 323-368.
- Hicken, Allen D., Stephen Leider, Nico M. Ravanilla, and Dean C. Yang. 2015. "Measuring Vote-Selling: Field Evidence from the Philippines." American Economic Review 105(5): 352-356.
- Mckenzie, David, and Dean C. Yang. 2015. "Evidence on Policies to Increase the Development Impacts of International Migration." World Bank Research Observer 30(2): 155-192.
- Batista, Catia, Daniel S. Silverman, and Dean C. Yang. 2015. "Directed giving: Evidence from an inter-household transfer experiment." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 118: 2-21.
- Ashraf, Nava, Diego Aycinena, Claudia Martinez, and Dean C. Yang. 2015. "Savings in Transnational Households: A Field Experiment among Migrants from El Salvador." Review of Economics and Statistics 97(2): 332-351.
- De Arcangelis, Giuseppe, Majlinda Joxhe, David McKenzie, Erwin Tiongson, and Dean C. Yang. 2015. "Directing remittances to education with soft and hard commitments: Evidence from a lab-in-the-field experiment and new product take-up among Filipino migrants in Rome." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 111: 197-208.
- Ambler, Catherine, Diego Aycinena, and Dean C. Yang. 2015. "Channeling remittances to education: a field experiment among migrants from El Salvador." American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 7(2): 207-232.
- Mckenzie, David, Caroline Theoharides, and Dean C. Yang. 2014. "Distortions in the international migrant labor market: Evidence from filipino migration and wage responses to destination country economic shocks." American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 6(2): 49-75.
- Seshan, Ganesh, and Dean C. Yang. 2014. "Motivating migrants: A field experiment on financial decision-making in transnational households." Journal of Development Economics 108: 119-127.
- Carter, Michael R., Rachid Laajaj, and Dean C. Yang. 2013. "The Impact of Voucher Coupons on the Uptake of Fertilizer and Improved Seeds: Evidence from a Randomized Trial in Mozambique." American Journal of Agricultural Economics 95(5): 1345-1351.
- Gine, Xavier, Jessica Goldberg, Shalini Sankaranarayanan, Peter Sheerin, and Dean C. Yang. 2012. "Use of Biometric Technology in Developing Countries." Pp. 429-445 in Banking the World: Empirical Foundations of Financial Inclusion, edited by Cull, R., DemirgucKunt, A., Morduch, J. MIT Press.
- Gine, X., J. Goldberg, and Dean C. Yang. 2012. "Credit Market Consequences of Improved Personal Identification: Field Experimental Evidence from Malawi." American Economic Review 102(6): 2923-2954.
- Yang, Dean C. 2011. "Migrant Remittances." Journal of Economic Perspectives 25(3): 129-52.
- Park, Albert F., Dean C. Yang, Xinzheng Shi, and Yuan Jiang. 2010. "Exporting and Firm Performance: Chinese Exporters and the Asian Financial Crisis." Review of Economics and Statistics 92(4): 822-842.
- Gine, Xavier, and Dean C. Yang. 2009. "Insurance, credit, and technology adoption: Field experimental evidence from Malawi." Journal of Development Economics 89(1): 1-11.
- Maccini, Sharon, and Dean C. Yang. 2009. "Under the Weather: Health, Schooling, and Economic Consequences of Early-Life Rainfall." American Economic Review 99(3): 1006-26.
- Yang, Dean C. 2008. "Coping with Disaster: The Impact of Hurricanes on International Financial Flows, 1970-2002." B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 8(1).
- Yang, Dean C. 2008. "International Migration, Remittances, and Household Investment: Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Exchange Rate Shocks." Economic Journal 118(528): 591-630.
- Yang, Dean C. 2008. "Can Enforcement Backfire? Crime Displacement in the Context of Customs Reform in the Philippines." Review of Economics and Statistics 90(1): 1-14.
- Yang, Dean C. 2008. "Integrity for Hire: An Analysis of a Widespread Customs Reform." Journal of Law and Economics 51(1): 25-57.
- Yang, Dean C., and HwaJung Choi. 2007. "Are remittances insurance? Evidence from rainfall shocks in the Philippines." World Bank Economic Review 21(2): 219-248.
- Yang, Dean C. 2006. "Why Do Migrants Return to Poor Countries? Evidence from Philippine Migrants' Responses to Exchange Rate Shocks." Review of Economics and Statistics 88(4): 715-735.
- Dean Yang's Combatting COVID-19 in Mozambique study releases Round 1 summary report
- Yang discusses COVID and migrant remittances amidst World Bank warning
- Yang et al. wrote about how temporary agricultural input subsidies have lasting impacts, as seen in the Mozambique experiment
- Yang's work suggests Hurricane Maria will prompt increased migration from Puerto Rico to US
- Yang and Mahajan examine how hurricanes impact migration to the US
- Yang says proposed tariff on imports from Mexico could increase net migration to U.S.
- Yang says devalued pound will decrease resources for the families of migrant workers in Britain
- Yang says remittances from workers abroad increase educational attainment for children
- Yang comments on importance of migrant remittances to future of recipient families
- Yang says migrants who attend motivational talk make better financial decisions
- Yang discusses motivations behind food subsidies in developing countries
- Yang's work on migrant remittances yields place on U-M innovative ideas list
- Dean Yang wins Award for Excellence in Science and Technology Education, Philippine Development Foundation, USA, 2010