Shawna J. Lee
Faculty Associate, RCGD
Associate Professor, School Of Social Work
Program Director, School Of Social Work
Professor Lee is an assistant professor in the School of Social Work, a faculty affiliate at RCGD, and a member of the Center for the Analysis of Pathways from Childhood to Adulthood (CAPCA). Her research interests include: fathers' parenting behaviors and their links to child wellbeing; prevention of child maltreatment; and the use of physical punishment by American parents. Dr. Lee's research agenda aims to (1) increase our understanding of how fathers' parenting behaviors impact child wellbeing and family functioning more broadly, and (2) use that knowledge to develop evidence-based interventions that promote both fathers' and mothers' positive parenting and reduce risk for child maltreatment.
Currently, in a project funded by the United States Air Force, Dr. Lee is developing and implementing a technology-based parenting intervention for men in military families. The main goal of this intervention is to promote fathers' positive engagement with their new babies through the deployment and reintegration cycle. Professor Lee completed a NIMH-funded predoctoral fellowship at the University of Michigan and was a postdoctoral research scholar at Columbia University. Her research examining fathers and risk for child maltreatment was funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Lee, Joyce Y., Andrew C. Grogan-Kaylor, Shawna J. Lee, Tawfiq Ammari, Alex Lu, and Pamela E. Davis-Kean. 2020. "A Qualitative Analysis of Stay-At-Home Parents' Spanking Tweets." Journal of Child and Family Studies 29: 817-830.
- Gershoff, Elizabeth T., Shawna J. Lee, and Joan E. Durrant. Forthcoming. "Promising intervention strategies to reduce parents' use of physical punishment." Child Abuse & Neglect
- Afifi, Tracie O., Shawna J. Lee, Derek Ford, Elizabeth T. Gershoff, Melissa Merrick, Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, Katie A. Ports, Harriet L. MacMillan, et al. Forthcoming. "Spanking and adult mental health impairment: The case for the designation of spanking as an adverse childhood experience." Child Abuse & Neglect
- Lee, Joyce Y., Garrett T. Pace, Shawna J. Lee, and Inna Altschul. Forthcoming. "The Associations of Constructive and Destructive Interparental Conflict to Child Well-Being Among Low-Income Families." Journal of Interpersonal Violence : 0886260519835872.
- Albuja, Analia F., Diana T. Sanchez, Shawna J. Lee, and Joyce Y. Lee. 2019. "Early Paternal Support Behaviors Moderate Consonant Smoking Among Unmarried Parents." Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 80(1): 129-133.
- Albuja, Analia F., Diana T. Sanchez, Shawna J. Lee, Joyce Y. Lee, and Stacy Yadava. 2019. "The effect of paternal cues in prenatal care settings on men's involvement intentions." PLOS ONE 14(5): e0216454.
- Li, Yang, Marie-Anne S. Rosemberg, Vanessa K. Dalton, Shawna J. Lee, and Julia S. Seng. 2019. "Exploring the optimal allostatic load scoring method in women of reproductive age." Journal of Advanced Nursing 0(0).
- Ward, Kaitlin P., Shawna J. Lee, Garrett T. Pace, Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, and Julie Ma. Forthcoming. "Attachment Style and the Association of Spanking and Child Externalizing Behavior." Academic Pediatrics
- Ward, Kaitlin P., Shawna J. Lee, Gordon E. Limb, and Andrew C. Grogan-Kaylor. Forthcoming. "Physical Punishment and Child Externalizing Behavior: Comparing American Indian, White, and African American Children." Journal of Interpersonal Violence : 0886260519861678.
- Grogan-Kaylor, Andrew, Viktor Burlaka, Julie Ma, Shawna J. Lee, Berenice Castillo, and Iuliia Churakova. 2018. "Predictors of parental use of corporal punishment in Ukraine." Children and Youth Services Review 88: 66-73.
- Ma, Julie, Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, and Shawna J. Lee. 2018. "Associations of neighborhood disorganization and maternal spanking with children's aggression: A fixed-effects regression analysis." Child Abuse & Neglect 76: 106-116.
- Lee, Joyce Y., and Shawna J. Lee. 2018. "Caring is masculine: Stay-at-home fathers and masculine identity." Psychology of Men & Masculinity 19(1): 47-58.
- Lee, Shawna J., Diana T. Sanchez, Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, Joyce Y. Lee, and Analia Albuja. 2018. "Father Early Engagement Behaviors and Infant Low Birth Weight." Maternal and Child Health Journal 22(10): 1407-1417.
- Lee, Joyce Y., Heather A. Knauer, Shawna J. Lee, Mark P. MacEachern, and Craig F. Garfield. 2018. "Father-Inclusive Perinatal Parent Education Programs: A Systematic Review." Pediatrics 142(1): e20180437.
- Lee, Shawna J., Garrett T. Pace, Joyce Y. Lee, and Heather Knauer. 2018. "The association of fathers' parental warmth and parenting stress to child behavior problems." Children and Youth Services Review 91: 1-10.
- Grogan-Kaylor, Andrew, Julie Ma, Shawna J. Lee, Berenice Castillo, Kaitlin P. Ward, and Sacha Klein. 2018. "Using Bayesian analysis to examine associations between spanking and child externalizing behavior across race and ethnic groups." Child Abuse & Neglect 86: 257-266.
- Taylor, Catherine A., Julia M. Fleckman, and Shawna J. Lee. 2017. "Attitudes, beliefs, and perceived norms about corporal punishment and related training needs among members of the "American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children"." Child Abuse & Neglect 71: 56-68.
- Lee, Shawna J., Amy Krings, Sara Rose, Krista Dover, Jessica Ayoub, and Fatima Salman. 2016. "Racial inequality and the implementation of emergency management laws in economically distressed urban areas." Children and Youth Services Review 70: 1-7.
- Alford, Brandon, and Shawna J. Lee. 2016. "Toward Complete Inclusion: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Military Service Members after Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Social Work 61(3): 257-265.
- Lee, Shawna J., Gregory Hoffman, and Donna Harris. 2016. "Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) needs assessment of parenting support programs for fathers." Children and Youth Services Review 66: 76-84.
- Altschul, Inna, Shawna J. Lee, and Elizabeth T. Gershoff. 2016. "Hugs, Not Hits: Warmth and Spanking as Predictors of Child Social Competence." Journal of Marriage and Family 78(3): 695-714.
- Taylor, C. A., R. Al-Hiyari, Shawna J. Lee, A. Priebe, L. W. Guerrero, and A. Bales. 2016. "Beliefs and ideologies linked with approval of corporal punishment: a content analysis of online comments." Health Education Research 31(4): 563-575.
- Lee, Shawna J., Inna Altschul, and Elizabeth T. Gershoff. 2015. "Wait until your father gets home? Mother's and fathers' spanking and development of child aggression." Children and Youth Services Review 52: 158-166.
- Lee, Shawna J., and Inna Altschul. 2015. "Spanking of Young Children: Do Immigrant and US-Born Hispanic Parents Differ?" Journal of Interpersonal Violence 30(3): 475-498.
- Lee, Shawna J., and Tova B. Walsh. 2015. "Using Technology in Social Work Practice: The mDad (Mobile Device Assisted Dad) Case Study." Advances in Social Work 16(1): 107-124.
- Kim, Jinseok, Shawna J. Lee, Catherine A. Taylor, and Neil Guterman. 2014. "Dyadic Profiles of Parental Disciplinary Behavior and Links With Parenting Context." Child Maltreatment 19(2): 79-91.
- Lee, Shawna J., Andrew Grogan-Kaylor, and Lawrence M. Berger. 2014. "Parental spanking of 1-year-old children and subsequent child protective services involvement." Child Abuse & Neglect 38(5): 875-883.
- Lee, Shawna J., Irina Altschul, and Elizabeth T. Gershoff. 2013. "Does Warmth Moderate Longitudinal Associations Between Maternal Spanking and Child Aggression in Early Childhood?" Developmental Psychology 49(11): 2017-2028.
- Lee, Shawna J., Catherine A. Taylor, Inna Altschul, and Janet C. Rice. 2013. "Parental spanking and subsequent risk for child aggression in father-involved families of young children." Children and Youth Services Review 35(9): 1476-1485.
- Lee, Shawna J. 2013. "Paternal and Household Characteristics Associated With Child Neglect and Child Protective Services Involvement." Journal of Social Service Research 39(2): 171-187.
- Lee, Shawna J., Joanne L. Sobeck, Valentina Djelaj, and Elizabeth Agius. 2013. "When practice and policy collide: Child welfare workers' perceptions of investigation processes." Children and Youth Services Review 35(4): 634-641.
- Lee, Shawna J., Tova B. Neugut, Katherine L. Rosenblum, Richard M. Tolman, Wendy J. Travis, and Margaret H. Walker. 2013. "Sources of parenting support in early fatherhood: Perspectives of United States Air Force members." Children and Youth Services Review 35(5): 908-915.
- Lee, Shawna J., Jennifer E. Lansford, Gregory S. Pettit, John E. Bates, and Kenneth A. Dodge. 2012. "Parental agreement of reporting parent to child aggression using the Conflict Tactics Scales." Child Abuse & Neglect 36(6): 510-518.
- Lee, Shawna J. 2012. "Paternal depression and the family context." Family Science 3(3-4): 233-236.
- Lee, Shawna J., Catherine A. Taylor, and Jennifer L. Bellamy. 2012. "Paternal depression and risk for child neglect in father-involved families of young children." Child Abuse & Neglect 36(5): 461-469.
- Lee, Shawna J., Jinseok Kim, Catherine A. Taylor, and Brian E. Perron. 2011. "Profiles of Disciplinary Behaviors Among Biological Fathers." Child Maltreatment 16(1): 51-62.
- Lee, Shawna J., Brian E. Perron, Catherine A. Taylor, and Neil B. Guterman. 2011. "Paternal Psychosocial Characteristics and Corporal Punishment of Their 3-Year-Old Children." Journal of Interpersonal Violence 26(1): 71-87.
- Lee, Shawna J., Inna Altschul, Sarah R. Shair, and Catherine A. Taylor. 2011. "Hispanic Fathers and Risk for Maltreatment in Father-Involved Families of Young Children." Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research 2(2): 125-142.
- Altschul, Inna, and Shawna J. Lee. 2011. "Direct and Mediated Effects of Nativity and Other Indicators of Acculturation on Hispanic Mothers' Use of Physical Aggression." Child Maltreatment 16(4): 262-274.
- Lee, Shawna J., and Amiram Vinokur. 2007. "Work Barriers in the Context of Pathways to the Employment of Welfare-to-Work Clients." American Journal of Community Psychology 40(3-4): 301-312.