Assistant Research Scientist, SRC-HRS
LEO Adjunct Lecturer, Ross School Of Business
Helppie-McFall's research interests include labor and demographic economics, the economics of aging, and survey methodology and design. Much of Helppie-McFall's work and research agenda has to do with retirement planning, with respect to both timing and related decisions such as Social Security claiming, retirement sequencing, bridge jobs and working longer. A new area of interest is the interaction between cognition and economic decision-making.
- Incentives for Home and Community Based Care Under the Affordable Care Act: Implications for Supplemental Security Income Receipt. (Brooke Helppie-McFall) 2018-2019. Social Security Administration.
- Labor Demand Aspects of Working Longer - A Pilot Study using an Employer-employee Survey in the ALP. (Brooke Helppie-McFall, Robert J. Willis) 2018-2018. Sloan.
- Enhancing Retrospective Life History Data in the Health and Retirement Study: Administrative Supplement. (Jacqui Smith, Robert J. Willis, Amanda J. Sonnega, Brooke Helppie-McFall) 2017-2019. NIA.
- Extension of "Assessing and Improving Cognitive Measurement in the HRS" Amendment to Analyze and Extract Saliva and DNA. (Brooke Helppie-McFall, Jennifer A. Smith, Sharon R. Kardia, Lawrence F. Bielak) 2017-2018. NIA.
- Michigan Retirement Research Center (MRRC) 2018. (John P. Laitner, Brooke Helppie-McFall, Amanda J. Sonnega, David R. Weir, Helen G. Levy, Kenneth M. Langa, Thomas C. Buchmueller, Dmitriy L. Stolyarov) 2013-2018. SSA.
- Health and Retirement Study Yrs 23-28. (David R. Weir, Kenneth M. Langa, Mary B. Ofstedal, Charles C. Brown, Sharon R. Kardia, Helen G. Levy, Jacqui Smith, Robert J. Willis, Jessica D. Faul, Steven G. Heeringa, John Bound, Mick P. Couper, Sunghee Lee, Richard L. Valliant, Amanda J. Sonnega, Chichun Fang, Lindsay H. Ryan, Brooke Helppie-McFall, Bruno J. Giordani, Lauren L. Schmitz, Jennifer A. Smith, Joelle Hillary Abramowitz, Colter M. Mitchell) 2012-2017. NIA.
- Sonnega, Amanda J., Brooke Helppie-McFall, Peter Hudomiet, Robert J. Willis, and Gwenith G. Fisher. 2017. "A Comparison of Subjective and Objective Job Demands and Fit With Personal Resources as Predictors of Retirement Timing in a National U.S. Sample." Work, Aging and Retirement 4(1): 37-51.
- Helppie-McFall, Brooke, and Marta Murray-Close. 2016. "Moving out to move up: Dual-career migration and work-family tradeoffs." Economic inquiry 54(1): 44-62. Wiley Periodicals, Inc..
- Helppie-McFall, Brooke, Marta Murray-Close, Robert J. Willis, and Uniko Chen. 2015. "Is It All Worth It? The Experiences of New PhDs on the Job Market, 2007-10." The Journal of Economic Education 46(1): 83-104.
- Helppie-McFall, Brooke. 2011. "Crash and Wait? The Impact of the Great Recession on the Retirement Plans of Older Americans." American Economic Review 101(3): 40-44.
- Weller, Christian, and Brooke Helppie-McFall. 2005. "Biting the hand that fed it: Did the stock market boom of the late 1990s impede investment in manufacturing?" Journal of Economics and Finance 29(3): 359-381.