Amy M. Pienta
Research Scientist, ICPSR - Membership Archives
Dr. Pienta has research interests in demography of aging and she studies retirement and health in later life. Her current research focuses on determinants of couples' retirement behavior and uncovering social processes underlying health disparities among African Americans.
- Developing Evidence-based Data Sharing and Archiving Policies. (Libby Marie Hemphill, Amy M. Pienta, Dharma Raell Akmon, Andrea Karoline Thomer, Elizabeth Yakel) 2019-2022. NSF.
- Division of Global HIV and TB (DGHT) Open Access Initiative - Data Sharing and Archiving Support. (Susan H. Leonard, Amy M. Pienta) 2019-2020. CDC.
- National Addiction and HIV Data Archive Program. (Amy M. Pienta, Margaret C. Levenstein) 2019-2024. NIDA.
- Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging Research. (James S. Jackson, Toni C. Antonucci, Robert J. Taylor, Jacqui Smith, Jamie Mitchell, Briana M. Ratliff, Amy M. Pienta, Daphne C. Watkins, James W. McNally, Felichism W. Kabo, Kristine J. Ajrouch, Lenwood W. Hayman, Bruno J. Giordani, Helen G. Levy, Elham Mahmoudi, Lenette Michelle Jones) 2018-2023. NIA.
- Development of the RWJF Health and Medical Care Archive, 2018-2019. (Amy M. Pienta) 2018-2020. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Sharing Qualitative Research Data: Identifying and Addressing Ethical and Practical Barriers. (Amy M. Pienta) 2017-2018.
- FACTORS IN AGING: Best Practices in Archiving and Sharing Longitudinal Data Resources on Aging. (James W. McNally, Margaret C. Levenstein, Amy M. Pienta, John E. Marcotte, Jared A. Lyle, George C. Alter, Saundra Schneider) 2017-2022. NIA.
- Evaluating the Data Sharing Capacity of the PCORI Research Community: Creating a Pilot Data Repository at ICPSR. (Amy M. Pienta) 2017-2018. Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute.
- Identifying a Set of Value-added Services in Support of Data Curation for the Development Data Hub. (Margaret C. Levenstein, Amy M. Pienta, Jared A. Lyle, Peter A. Granda) 2016-2018. World Bank.
- Health and Medical Care Archive (HMCA). (Amy M. Pienta) 2016-2018. RWJF.
- Archive of Data on Disability to Enable Policy and Research (ADDEP). (Amy M. Pienta, Jared A. Lyle, Denise G. Tate, Susan Lynn Murphy) 2015-2018. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
- National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program (NAHDAP). (Amy M. Pienta, George C. Alter) 2014-2019. NIH.
- Michigan Center for Urban African American Aging. (James S. Jackson, Robert J. Taylor, Jacqui Smith, Amy M. Pienta, Toni C. Antonucci) 2012-2018.
- Mannheimer, Sara, Amy M. Pienta, Dessislava Kirilova, Colin Elman, and Amber Wutich. 2019. "Qualitative Data Sharing: Data Repositories and Academic Libraries as Key Partners in Addressing Challenges." American Behavioral Scientist 63(5): 643-664.
- Liew, Sook-Lei, Alison Stroud, Amy M. Pienta, Julia M. Anglin, Nick W. Banks, Matt Sondag, Kaori L. Ito, Hosung Kim, et al. 2018. "A large, open source dataset of stroke anatomical brain images and manual lesion segmentations." Scientific Data 5.
- Pienta, Amy M., and Jared A. Lyle. 2018. "Retirement in the 1950s:." IASSIST Quarterly 42(1): 12.
- Pienta, Amy M., Dharma Raell Akmon, Justin Ryan Noble, Lynette F. Hoelter, and Susan M. Jekielek. 2018. "A Data-Driven Approach to Appraisal and Selection at a Domain Data Repository." International Journal of Digital Curation 2017(12): 2.
- Tkatch, R., Amy M. Pienta, N. Artinian, J. Abrams, J. Mahn, M. Franks, S. Keteyian, B. Franklin, an, et al. 2011. "Social network and health outcomes among African American cardiac rehabilitation patients." Heart and Lung 40(3): 193-200.
- Abrahamson, M., K. Bollen, Myron P. Gutmann, G. King, and Amy M. Pienta. 2009. "Preserving Quantitative Research-Elicited Data for Longitudinal Analysis. New Developments in Archiving Survey Data in the US." Historical Social Research-Historische Sozialforschung 34(3): 51-59.
- Gutmann, Myron P., Darrell W. Donakowski, Amy M. Pienta, Jared A. Lyle, Mark Abrahamson, Margaret O. Adams, Micah Altman, Caroline Arms, et al. 2009. "From Preserving the Past to Preserving the Future: The Data-PASS Project and the Challenges of Preserving Digital Social Science Data." Library Trends 57(3): 315-337.
- Artinian, N. I., Amy M. Pienta, J. Abrams, S. J. Keteyian, M. M. Franks, B. Franklin, R. Tkatch, L. Cuff, et al. 2009. "Correlates of Depression at Baseline Among African Americans Enrolled in Cardiac Rehabilitation." Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention 29(1): 24-31.
- Hoelter, Lynette F., Felicia B. LeClere, Amy M. Pienta, R. E. Barlow, and James W. McNally. 2008. "Using ICPSR resources to teach sociology." Teaching Sociology 36(1): 17-25.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Amy M. Pienta, and Tyson H. Brown. 2007. "Women of the 1950s and the 'normative' life course: The implications of childlessness, fertility timing, and marital status for psychological well-being in late midlife." International Journal of Aging and Human Development 64(4): 299-330.
- Pienta, Amy M., and Melissa M. Franks. 2006. "A closer look at health and widowhood : do health behaviors change after the loss of a spouse?" in Spousal bereavement in late life, edited by Deborah Carr, Randolph M. Nesse, Camille B. Wortman. New York : Springer Pub. Co.
- Pienta, Amy M., and Melissa Franks. 2005. "Physical Health and Widowhood." in Late Life Widowhood: New Directions in Theory, Research, and Practice, edited by D.S. Carr; R. Nesse; C. Wortman. Springer Publishing Company.
- Chumbler, N. R., Amy M. Pienta, and J. W. Dwyer. 2004. "The Depressive Symptomatology of Parent Care Among the Near Elderly - the Influence of Multiple Role Commitments." Research on Aging 26(3): 330-351.
- Pienta, Amy M. 2003. "Retirement." in The World Book Encyclopedia, edited by World Book, Inc. Chicago: World Book.
- Pienta, Amy M. 2003. "Partners in Marriage: An Analysis of Husbands' and Wives' Retirement Behavior." Journal of Applied Gerontology 22(3): 340-358.
- Pienta, Amy M., and Mark D. Hayward. 2002. "Who Expects to Continue Working After Age 62: The Retirement Plans of Couples." Journals of Gerontology B: Psychological and Social Sciences 57B(4): S199-S208.
- Pienta, Amy M., Melissa M. Franks, and Linda Wray. 2002. "It Takes Two: Marriage and Smoking Cessation in the Middle Years." Journal of Aging and Health 14(3): 336-354.
- Jenkins, Kristi R., Amy M. Pienta, and A. Horgas. 2002. "Activity and Health-Related Quality of Life in Continuing Care Retirement Communities." Research on Aging 24(1): 124-149.
- Pienta, Amy M., Jennifer S. Barber, and William G. Axinn. 2001. "Social Change and Adult Children's Attitudes towards Support of Elderly Parents: Evidence from Nepal." Hallym International Journal of Aging 3(2): 211-235.
- Pienta, Amy M., Mark D. Hayward, and Kristi R. Jenkins. 2000. "Health Consequences of Marriage for the Retirement Years." Journal of Family Issues 21(5): 559-586.