Jason D. Owen-Smith
Research Professor, SRC - Innovation, Networks & Knowledge
Professor, LSA Organizational Studies
Professor, Ford School Of Public Policy
Jason Owen-Smith is a sociologist who examines how science, commerce, and the law cohere and conflict in contemporary societies and economies. Together with collaborators, Jason works on projects that examine the dynamics of high-technology industries, the public value of the research university, and the network organization of surgical care. He seeks to understand how organizations, institutions, and networks can maintain the status quo while generating novelty through social transformations, scientific discoveries, and technological breakthroughs. Jason's work makes use of large-scale administrative data to study fundamental process of network change and their effects in policy relevant domains.
Professor Owen-Smith is Executive Director of the Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS) and Director of the Barger Leadership Institute at the University of Michigan where he also holds the Barger Leadership Institute Professorship in Organizational Studies. He is Professor of Sociology and (by courtesy) Public Policy. In the Institute for Social Research (ISR) he is a Research Professor in the Survey Research Center where he directs a program called Innovation Networks and Knowledge (INK) that houses IRIS and an ongoing research project about physician networks and surgical care outcomes.
- ECR: BCSER: IRM: Building Big Data Capacity for Education and Social Science Research Communities Using Restricted Administrative Data. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2020-2022. NSF.
- XSEDE/IRIS Pilot Project. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2019-2020. University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign.
- Creating a Data Quality Control Framework for Producing New Personnel-Based S&E Indicators. (Jason D. Owen-Smith, Jinseok Kim) 2019-2021. National Science Foundation.
- Collaborative Research: New Insights into STEM Pathways: The Role of Peers, Networks, and Demand. (Jason D. Owen-Smith, Jacob C. Fisher) 2018-2021. NSF.
- Developing and Supporting the IRIS Research Community. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2017-2020. Sloan.
- To develop and test privacy-protection techniques that enable researchers to collect and analyze sensitive data. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2017-2018. Sloan Foundation.
- Collaborative Research: STEM Training, Employment in Industry, and Entrepreneurship Supplement. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2016-2019. National Science Foundation.
- Pathways to Science and Engineering Professions: Persistence and career choice for bachelors and masters graduates' research experiences, decision points and labor market transitions. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2016-2021. National Science Foundation.
- Collaborative Research: STEM Training, Employment in Industry, and Entrepreneurship. (Jason D. Owen-Smith) 2015-2019. National Science Foundation.
- Kierkegaard, Patrick, Mira D. Vale, Spencer Garrison, Brent K. Hollenbeck, John M. Hollingsworth, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2020. "Mechanisms of decision-making in preoperative assessment for older adult prostate cancer patients-A qualitative study." Journal of Surgical Oncology 121(3): 561-569.
- Kim, Jinseok, Jinmo Kim, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. Forthcoming. "Generating automatically labeled data for author name disambiguation: an iterative clustering method." Scientometrics
- Everson, Jordan, Russell J. Funk, Samuel R. Kaufman, Jason D. Owen-Smith, Brahmajee K. Nallamothu, Francis D. Pagani, and John M. Hollingsworth. 2018. "Repeated, Close Physician Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Teams Associated with Greater Teamwork." Health Services Research 53(2): 1025-1041.
- Funk, R. J., Jason D. Owen-Smith, S. A. Kaufman, B. K. Nallamothu, and J. M. Hollingsworth. 2018. "Association of informal clinical integration of physicians with cardiac surgery payments." JAMA Surgery 153(5): 446-453.
- Ghomrawi, Hassan M. K., Russell J. Funk, Michael L. Parks, Jason D. Owen-Smith, and John M. Hollingsworth. 2018. "Physician referral patterns and racial disparities in total hip replacement: A network analysis approach." PLOS ONE 13(2): e0193014. Public Library of Science.
- Funk, Russell J., Jason D. Owen-Smith, Bruce E. Landon, John D. Birkmeyer, and John M. Hollingsworth. 2017. "Identifying Natural Alignments Between Ambulatory Surgery Centers and Local Health Systems: Building Broader Communities of Surgical Care." Medical care 55(2): e9–e15.
- Sattari, Reza, Julia I. Lane, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2017. "New Insights into Food Safety Research Teams." Pp. 113-127 in Measuring the Economic Value of Research: The Case of Food Safety, edited by Husbands Fealing, Kaye, Lane, Julia I., King, John L., Johnson, Stanley R. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Funk, Russell, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. Forthcoming. "A Dynamic Network Measure of Technological Change." Management Science INFORMS.
- Hollingsworth, John M., Russell Funk, Amy Luckenbaugh, Jason D. Owen-Smith, Samuel Kaufman, and Brahmajee Nallamothu. 2016. "Clinical Integration is Associated with Lower Costs of Care among Patients Undergoing Prostatectomy." 2016 Annual Meeting Program AbstractsAUA Annual Meeting 195(4, Supplement): e591.
- Hollingsworth, John M., Russell J. Funk, Spencer A. Garrison, Jason D. Owen-Smith, Samuel A. Kaufman, Francis D. Pagani, and Brahmajee K. Nallamothu. 2016. "Association Between Physician Teamwork and Health System Outcomes After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting." Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 9(6): 641-648.
- Hollingsworth, J. M., R. J. Funk, S. A. Garrison, Jason D. Owen-Smith, S. R. Kaufman, B. E. Landon, and J. D. Birkmeyer. 2015. "Differences between physician social networks for cardiac surgery serving communities with high versus low proportions of black residents." Medical care 53(2): 160-167.
- Hollingsworth, John M., Russell J. Funk, Spencer A. Garrison, Jason D. Owen-Smith, Samuel R. Kaufman, Bruce E. Landon, James E. Montie, and Brahmajee K. Nallamothu. 2015. "MP5-19 the Impact of Care Coordination on Radical Prostatectomy Outcomes." 2015 Annual Meeting Program Abstracts AUA Annual Meeting 193(4, Supplement): e52-e53.
- Hollingsworth, John M., Russell J. Funk, Jason D. Owen-Smith, Bruce E. Landon, Brent K. Hollenbeck, and John D. Birkmeyer. 2015. "Assessing the Reach of Health Reform to Outpatient Surgery With Social Network Analysis." Annals of Surgery 261(3): 468-472.
- Kabo, Felichism W., Yongha Hwang, Margaret C. Levenstein, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2015. "Shared Paths to the Lab: A Sociospatial Network Analysis of Collaboration." Environment and Behavior 47(1): 57-84.
- Lane, Julia I., Jason D. Owen-Smith, Rebecca F. Rosen, and Bruce A. Weinberg. 2015. "New linked data on research investments: Scientific workforce, productivity, and public value." The New Data Frontier 44(9): 1659-1671.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D., Natalie C. Cotton-Nessler, and Helena Buhr. 2015. "Network effects on organizational decision-making: Blended social mechanisms and IPO withdrawal." Social Networks 41: 1-17.
- Zolas, Nikolas, Jason D. Owen-Smith, Nathan Goldschlag, Ron Jarmin, Paula Stephan, Rebecca F. Rosen, Barbara McFadden Allen, Bruce A. Weinberg, an, et al. 2015. "Wrapping it up in a person: Examining employment and earnings outcomes for Ph.D. recipients." Science 350(6266): 1367-1371.
- Kabo, Felichism W., Natalie Cotton-Nessler, Yongha Hwang, Margaret C. Levenstein, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2014. "Proximity effects on the dynamics and outcomes of scientific collaborations." Research Policy 43(9): 1469-1485.
- Weinberg, B. A., Jason D. Owen-Smith, R. F. Rosen, L. Schwarz, B. M. Allen, R. E. Weiss, and J. Lane. 2014. "Science funding and short-term economic activity." Science 344(6179): 41-43.
- Wineman, Jean, Yongha Hwang, Felichism W. Kabo, Jason D. Owen-Smith, and Gerald F. Davis. 2014. "Spatial Layout, Social Structure, and Innovation in Organizations." Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 41(6): 1100-1112.
- DeRouen, M. C., J. B. McCormick, Jason D. Owen-Smith, and C. T. Scott. 2012. "The race is on: human embryonic stem cell research goes global." Stem cell reviews 8(4): 1043-1047.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2012. "University Intellectual Property Policies Create Unintended Consequences." Pp. 239-276 in Colleges and Universities as Economic Drivers, edited by Johnstone, B. D., Lane, J. E. New York: SUNY Press.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D., C. T. Scott, and J. B. McCormick. 2012. "Democracy is working." Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 31(3): 726-728.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D., C. T. Scott, and J. B. McCormick. 2012. "Expand and regularize federal funding for human pluripotent stem cell research." Journal of policy analysis and management : [the journal of the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management] 31(3): 714-722.
- Powell, Walter W., and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2012. "An Open Elite: Arbiters, Catalysts, or Gatekeepers in the Dynamics of Industry Evolution?" Pp. 466-495 in The Emergence of Organizations and Markets, edited by Padgett, J., Powell, Walter W. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2011. "The institutionalization of expertise in university licensing." Theory and Society 40(1): 63-94.
- Powell, Walter W., Jason D. Owen-Smith, and Laurel Smith-Doerr. 2011. "Sociology and the Science of Science Policy." Pp. 56-84 in The Handbook of the Science of Science Policy, edited by Fealing, K. H., Lane, J., Marburger, J. H., Shipp, S., Valdez, B. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Scott, C. T., J. B. McCormick, M. C. DeRouen, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2011. "Democracy derived? New trajectories in pluripotent stem cell research." Cell 145(6): 820-826.
- Buhr, Helena, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2010. "Networks as institutional support: law firm and venture capitalist relations and regional diversity in high-technology IPOs." Pp. 95-126 in Institutions and Entrepreneurship, edited by Sine, Wesley D., David, Robert J. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Scott, C. T., J. B. McCormick, M. C. Derouen, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2010. "Federal policy and the use of pluripotent stem cells." Nature methods 7(11): 866-867.
- Caulfield, T., Jason D. Owen-Smith, A. Zarzeczny, J. McCormick, T. Bubela, C. Critchley, E. Einsiedel, J. Galipeau, et al. 2009. "The stem cell research environment: a patchwork of patchworks." Stem cell reviews 5(2): 82-88.
- McCormick, J. B., Jason D. Owen-Smith, and C. T. Scott. 2009. "Distribution of human embryonic stem cell lines: who, when, and where." Cell stem cell 4(2): 107-110.
- Scott, C. T., J. B. McCormick, and Jason D. Owen-Smith. 2009. "And then there were two: use of hESC lines." Nature biotechnology 27(8): 696-697.
- Whittington, Kjersten Bunker, Jason D. Owen-Smith, and Walter W. Powell. 2009. "Networks, Propinquity, and Innovation in Knowledge-Intensive Industries." Administrative Science Quarterly 54(1): 90-122.
- Powell, WalterW, Jason D. Owen-Smith, and JeannetteA Colyvas. 2007. "Innovaton and Emulation: Lessons from American Universities in Selling Private Rights to Public Knowledge." Minerva 45(2): 121-142.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D., and J. McCormick. 2006. "An international gap in human ES cell research." Nature biotechnology 24(4): 391-392.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D. 2005. "Dockets, Deals, and Sagas: Commensuration and the Rationalization of Experience in University Licensing." Social Studies of Science 35(1): 69-97.
- Owen-Smith, Jason D., and Walter W. Powell. 2004. "Knowledge Networks as Channels and Conduits: The Effects of Spillovers in the Boston Biotechnology Community." Organization Science 15(1): 5-21. INFORMS.
- Amazon pullout from NYC shows the perils of partnerships between higher education and business according to Owen-Smith
- Owen-Smith considers research team size and support of diversity of the research enterprise
- MICHIGAN MINDS PODCAST: THE VALUE OF RESEARCH UNIVERSITIES
- 2020 Census: Citizenship, Science, Politics, and Privacy - an ISR Symposium Oct 31
- Engineering Aha
- Owen-Smith's new book on the public value of research universities
- Owen-Smith says universities must demonstrate value of higher education